Friday, December 26, 2008

Scent of the Season



In Michelle Ward's Crusade No. 26 her challenge this month is "to select a scent for the holiday season, use it all month long, and document it in your journal." I ended up selecting some new bath scents from Bath and Body Works this month. One of my favorite traditions is having a bubble bath with candles glowing. I must have been doing this little tradition for a long time.....


Because, I have a former fiance (floating out there, every girl should have one) who reminded me, a number of years ago when our paths crossed, once again, that he use to call me Bubbles. I really don't think I look like a "Bubbles" but we won't go there. OK? Anyway, this half hour ritual indulged in with a warm cup of coffee or hot chocolate is truly relaxing and it lets me shed any negativity that might still be hanging on me from the outside world. It washes my soul.


Scents rouse the soul -- I remember an event or individual at strange times - the scent passes me in the mall and I sometimes float away with it to a time long past. That can be both bad and good. My grandmother's scent -- was Coco Channel and the original Jergens lotion, my other grandmother, pine (when I was very young she let me do a little bubble bath using her beautiful green oil that smelled like pine cones and I was taken away to the land of Oz). Who knows, maybe that is where my love of bubble baths began.

My mother is definitely Avon's Imari. Although she has been gone 10 years, that quick smell brings her right back to me and she is holding me assuringly as mother's do. I miss that. Nice smell.


So I give you my two journal pages on my soul scents. I used pages from the journal we created in Michelle's workshop, The Painted Page, this past May.

I love this journal and it is still a work in progress and so I have not bound it just yet -- easier to work on this way. Thank you Michelle, for reminding me how important it is to document our scents.

9 comments:

Annette said...

My mom's was Wind Song...

Anonymous said...

Really nice....I love how you wrote it washes your soul! Happy Holidays

Anonymous said...

Yeah.... I am soooooooo calling you Bubbles from now on.

michelle ward said...

Marlynn - sorry I missed this one. Thanks for sharing your scents, your pages, and your story. It's almost time to pick a new scent for Spring - your entry reminded me it's time to shop for something fresh and new.

jgr said...

Love your scent pages, I read somewhere that scent is the most closely tied to memories.

Kathleen said...

Great journal spread - love the fun yellow duckies!

Judy said...

Love the duckies! Have one of those at my house too. A bubble bath is such a nice ritual - one I should indulge more often I think.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pages.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marlynn,
LOVE the duckies! And i totally agree with you on taking a bath: taking away the stress, a wash for the soul.
And, although late, THANKS for sharing,
Hedwig

Mescrap said...

OOh ... i love your journal page so much !!