Friday, August 14, 2009

SMooChs to Julie


You know, I owe Julie Prichard BIG TIME -- I owe her.... yes I do. In one of her recent posts discussing her next online course, she absolutely turned me totally around and helped me in the Hilda poem challenge over at PaperWhimsy. If you remember, I had posted about the Joy Poem which we had to create using material. Last Saturday I found the tye-dye felt at Michaels and proceeded to make the two pages.

And then on Julie's August 7 post (which I found on August 10) she opened my eyes and reminded me that I have quilted before, I have put material together to make projects before - so what was my bottleneck? Maybe I was being lazy?

Maybe I was just blocked and tired? Maybe -- I still don't know to this day BUT I am pleased I kept at it and happy to report that I posted my second creation over at PaperWhimsy.


What jumped out at me in Julie's example of journaling with material was her (what I will call) a "crazy" quilt look to one page. I have never done a "crazy" quilt, but her example reminded me to start piecing together a different variety of materials to be used as a background and just build it up (like she demonstrates in her Layer Love online course teaching a variety of painting techniques) build, build, build.... and yes, you will see I still had a few feathers left over which I had to use! I also added some letters to spell out "joy."

The image I decided to use from PaperWhimsy are two of my favorite girls. I "dyed" the crochet lace with different ink pads to match the background material. And, yes, these are materials I have used in previous quilts so they hold a special meaning for me. And that is always nice.



Have a great Friday night..... I have another weekend of early tennis tomorrow morning and Sunday morning. I have to admit to you, I am in a kind-of-funk over my tennis game lately. I feel I am going backwards, but then I have the "Rogers Masters" tennis match in Montreal on the TV as my background noise only to find out that # 1 Roger Federer lost today on a double-fault in a tie breaker. OUCH. OK, I still love tennis and know my funk will eventually go away with just one good game. Yup, it is all in the attitude!

2 comments:

Julie Prichard said...

Why, hello there, Marlynn! Thanks for the kind words today!! Seems like we all need some crazy every once in a while...so quilt it shall be!

happy weekend
xo

Terri said...

Marlynn, I love your fabric "JOY" piece! I love how you dyed the lace and layered it. The girls are perfect in it!
You amaze me.