Monday, August 3, 2009

Honeysuckle Breeze and Simple Abundance

In 1997, the summer I believe, I bought a book that literally changed my outlook on things. I was already pretty upbeat and loved my life but little did I know what lay ahead in 1998. On January 1, 1998, I started reading the book bought in the summer called, Simple Abundance, A Daybook of Comfort and Joy, by Sarah Ban Breathnach. Each day I worked her lessons. Sarah said in the forward that "Simple Abundance has given me the transcendent awareness that an authentic life is the most personal form of worship. Everyday life has become my prayer."


Why am I heading down this road. Well, I told you yesterday I needed to do some homecaring and headed downstairs to clean. I was introduced to "homecaring" on May 8, 1998. The chapter for May 8 was titled, "Rediscovering the Sacred Soulcraft of Homecaring." Huh??? the Sacred Soulcraft of Homecaring, you've got to be kidding.....





I do forget this "soulcrafting" these days. I starting forgetting it in 2003 after I had my aortic valve replaced. After that heart surgery I was blessed with energy and started tennis, visual art projects, tennis, altered books, tennis, and on and on. I had energy and had no time to spend house cleaning....... I have to admit, I have to get back to the homecaring. I have to. For no other reason than I like my little nest in order.


Started in the dining room, put on a tablecloth I had cross stitched back in the 70s. I still love it and it had such memories on it. . . stains and all.



I then moved to the kitchen.



And then the downstairs half bath.



I started on the living room but that will take a little bit of time. I am headed out to play a rain makeup team tennis match tonight. I am a sub and should be fun. I will leave you with this quote in the front of the book:


". . . in a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and despair, no woman should be shamfaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart." Louise Bogan


You can also find out more about Sarah Ban Breathnach at her web site. I have read the majority of her books, however Simple Abundance meant the most to me. Have a good evening!






2 comments:

Korie B. said...

I have read that book for years as well. Love it! My favorite day is November 22nd "Meditation for Bad Girls". Thanks for reminding me how very much I love this book. I just ran downstairs to pull it back off the bookshelf and place it on my desk again.
Have you read her "Mrs. Sharp's Traditions"? It is my bible. I love incorporating Victorian traditions into my daughter's lives.

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

Definitely a book that can be picked up anytime, even after all these years, it's a delight. I have several copies and enjoy using it for "found poetry"/"altered text"....amazing and wonderful what comes off the page at you