Sunday, August 9, 2009

"Joy" in the Breeze



Well, OK, it is over 95 hot degrees out there. Lucky me played tennis this morning at 9 am... still was drenched by the time we ended. JOY - is a wonderful word and even more sacred when you have joy. The PaperWhimsy challenge quote for 7/26 was interesting to say the least. No collage sheet with this challenge. WHAT, no collage sheet, you gotta be kidding, Gale. You always do incredible collage sheets. OK, breathe deeply. This was a new one. We had to gather whatever images from previous Hilda collage sheets for her poem, "Joy" -- nope, I wasn't feelin' the joy at that point. The collage must (notice the word must) be made predominately of fabric (this was gettin' better and better). First page was poem. Second page was "your" art inspired by the poem. Deadline, September 30. Huh, we usually only get two weeks before the next challenge is posted.

OK, fasten your seat belts boys and girls -- here is punch line: "Of the art submitted for this challenge, one piece will be specially chosen to be featured in the PaperWhimsy ad in Somerset Studio Jan/Feb 2010 issue. The artist will be credited. You may submit as many pieces as you like for this challenge." OK, I finally did it and will only do one. Yes, only one. I kind of skipped around the rules, yup, always kind-of-have done this in this lifetime..... I know, for those who know me well, hard to believe? LOL.

So, here is my Joy Girl. This one kept bothering me because I couldn't come up with ways to use a lot of fabric. Stopped by Michael's after tennis yesterday morning and found the most incredible piece of felt, purples, blues, tye/dye you are mine, baby:


Oh, yes, me and Simon and Garfunkle. Takes me back. I decided to use this as my background material. The poem had some very descriptive parts: "Joy is not a thing you can see. It is what you feel when you watch waves breaking, or when your peer through a net of woven violet stems in spring grass. It is not sunlight, not moonlight, but a separate shining. Joy lives behind people's eyes." The young girl, Hilda, did good with this poem. ..... "violet stems in spring grass" -- nice.


I sewed on the felt, added ribbon, printed past collage element pages onto canvas (two of the three butterfly wings and the pink butterfly wings on cotton). Added some silk leaves. Found my favorite feathers at Michael's and dyed them purple using Glimmer mist. Cut them up. Used my Grandmothers cotton lace, colored it with stamp pads, added some antique buttons - - and she is done.

I ended up printing the poem onto some material I had. Took a few times to go through the printer. Finally used my xyron to "fix" to paper and it went through about the third try. Fringed the material added the feathers and ribbon.


This challenge was interesting. I think you can debate if my work is predominately fabric or not. I like both pieces and it will look cool in the "eventual book" these pages are going to be turned into to. The 5" x 5" creations are mounted on cardstock covered with purple fabric. Looks blue in the photos so I cropped it out. Am I going to do a second one? No. This one is fine for me.

I may or may not be back today. I want to create somethingusing images printed onto canvas when I was doing all of that yesterday: A new PDF I ordered off of E-bay from Jeanette Janson called "Melancholy Collage Sheet" and, of course, the chickens and roosters I bought from Stampington. Jeanette has some other collage sheets you should check out. Love them and ordered them all. I am so into these PDFs. I'm off to create.





No comments: