Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Honeysuckle Drizzles


(Photo credits for all photos in this post: Becky Spray)

Headed out to play tennis at 6:30pm and here I am back home at 7:04pm - yup, we had some rain and it was drizzle and they called it off BUT I did not make it all the way to the courts. The rain-makeup game we did on Monday was not bad. My doubles partner and I won our games 8-1 and in the mixed doubles we lost 5-8.

So instead of tennis this evening, I will share some photos from my work week in the Arlington, VA and Washington, DC, area June 16-23. Staff worked hard at our leadership meeting and also had some fun. We had Mrs. America (charming lady), Mrs. Kansas (a PHD with 8 children), America's Mom - Mrs. Brady--Florence Henderson, and Kareem Jabar to name a few. We got to see a private showing of a movie that will be out later this summer (in August, I believe) called BandSlam. I liked it despite my predetermined opinion that I would not! You might want to try to catch it. An uplifting movie about high school students' garage bands. Yes, the underdogs rule.


Florence Henderson was a gem. A beautiful woman inside and out. I enjoyed meeting her. She and Mrs. Marmel (her husband runs the Mrs. America program) were best buds and had a good time. Mrs. America was a trooper the whole week!


I feel the photo below should be captioned -- "OMG is it almost over? My feet are killing me." We were in DC at the Department of Education. You can see Florence Henderson in the background after the festivities were over and we were getting ready to load people on buses!



I like the next photo that Becky too - it was early morning at the Lincoln Memorial before a student sing and a military band playing the Battle Hymn of the Republic. My co-worker, Elizabeth, and I have worked together many years. Since I was with the board of directors and we were headed elsewhere, I was not in the staff "uniform of yellow polos -- but I had yellow on!



If you have a chance to visit our incredible Washington, D.C. -- do so. This is the view from the Lincoln Memorial looking out to the Washington Monument. This is a great country and I am proud to be an American. I don't say that often. But I am. Have a comfy evening. I'm going to go and read more in my book In This Garden.

2 comments:

Debby said...

OH!!! Thanks for sharing these awesome photos, looks like it was a fabulous time, filled with many memories.
debby

Terry said...

Howdy
Great post.
Loved all the fabulous photos and information too!
Sounds like you have had a grand time.
Just rode by to wish you a very happy 4th of July :)
Happy Trails