Monday, July 20, 2009

40 Years Ago today in Honeysuckle Breeze


Nope, this was not what I was going to blog about today BUT it is a significant anniversary. 40 years ago today I was a mere 22 years old just out of college and a man walked on the moon, July 20, 1969. I remember it as if it were yesterday.

Sitting in front of the TV in Oklahoma City holding my breath waiting for the moment! At 4:17 p.m. EDT (3:17 CDT p.m.) they landed on the moon and six hours later at 10:17 p.m. - there was one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. And we all cheered.

Too bad we don't have Walter Cronkite here with us to review this historic moment. He was a fine fine man. I grew up watching him and, yes, like all others, trusting him. He was the one we listened to. He was the one we listened to when President Kennedy was shot. He was the one who calmed up that day to let us know it would be all right. We miss you. Rest well, you deserve it!

No comments: