Sunday, February 28, 2010

Melty Things and a Cupcake Book amongst the Honeysuckles?

What do melty things and cupcakes have in common. Well, it you talk to one of my friends her fav melty things are marshmallows and hot chocolate, bless you Terri. My fav melty things are beeswax and encaustic wax. Yesterday, one of you asked what I use to melt my wax in? You can use either a small crockpot or a Ranger Melting Pot. I prefer the Ranger because it does melt the wax quickly and you have a temp control on the top. You don't want your beeswax smoking! This is a mantra of Claudine's.

You can also buy extra trays for melting other stuff like Utee. I leave my wax in the melting pot and then just plug it in and I am always ready to wax again. I also use the same brush, yes it does harden with the wax on it - but it will also then melt so you can use it over and over and over again. The Clover Quilting Iron is a fav of mine for working with the wax - it is small and easy to use. However, once again you need to clean it while using it so it doesn't smoke. I have a special rag with me that I use for this - it is an old sheet I cut up! For larger items, Claudine recommends an inexpensive travel iron (no holes in the bottom) that you can pick up from places like Target.



Claudine will tell you to be sure you are using BeesWax..... which you can find in the candle section at Michaels. BeesWax comes in varying shades from white to yellow. Candlewax won't work. Like I said yesterday, Claudine's beeswax collage DVD is one of the best I have seen on collaging with wax. Next time I pull out the waxing I will do a more detailed "step-by-step" on laying down tissue paper, ironing it out, and applying images and buttons - my way.

I'm going to change the subject here and jump to cupcakes. Part of Larcy's Xmas gift was Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book ... I saw one at Michaels but it was damaged. (yes, I did a cupcake theme for her)....


I have waited since Xmas for them to get more of these books in. Have they? No. Finally last week I found a manager and asked if they were waiting for some sucker to buy the damaged book before they replaced it? He said, would you like me to order you one? I said no. He said wanna make a deal? I said yes. He said how much? I told him and I got the book which was nonrefundable and mine for ever and ever. (Remember this part since he held the book in his hands and did not give it to me....)
Surprise, had I known how damaged the spine was - that was not necessarily visible (got worse once home as I opened it and opened it and opened it again) ... I would have offered him less. But so goes the deal. So today after deciding "gluing" would not fix that spine - I tore the book apart. And grabbed my trusty RubiCoil binder machine.

The RubiCoil is a binding machine that will punch holes and let you bind books using different sizes and colors of coils. I have it and the Bind-It-All. Depending on what I am going to be putting together, I use both frequently. The RubiCoil will not punch through chip board like the Bind-It-All but each has its own + and -.


Another little tidbit on the RubiCoil is to make sure you have the "guide" screwed in place so there is no "moving" around since it will change where your punched holes are going to be. This is really important and sometimes I forget. I have really learned this machine by the "oh opps" method. I cried a lot in the beginning and at times hated it.... oh the drama....

Well, Martha got bound.... the book that is....


And you know - Martha needed some ribbons.....

Merry Christmas, Larcy! LOL.... She might as well send Oliver over to fetch it, don't you think?! I've got a cold and I'm being whinny again....... OK, I'm gonna go for hot chocolate!



9 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a GENIUS for rebinding Martha's book! Ironic really. Something she would have done herself and created a whole feature about it, only you've beat her to the punch! You made her book better than its original. The ribbons "make it".
:)

Diane said...

I agree with Nathalie--Martha would be proud. and my email is salt11(at)verizon(dot)net. Thanks for the info on the melting of the beeswax!

Carmen said...

You clever girl! I love what you did! And much easier to use. Rock on!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have both a melting pot and extra insert and a small crock pot. I actually prefer my crock pot because it holds more and I can keep the lid on it. When I want to change from white to natural beeswax, I simply heat the wax, place some Peel N Seal in a tuna can, then pour in the wax. When cool, it pops right out of the tuna can and you have a self sealing container to keep the dust and other things (like fur) out of it. I find the melting pot hard to maneuver when trying to change the wax color.

Love how you bound the cupcake book. Nathalie really said it all when it comes to Martha. Glad you were able to salvage it, too. A gal after my own heart.

Terri said...

Yes, the hot chocolate cure! I hope it helps. I had a dose myself tonight : )

I enjoyed reading about the beeswax, I have been having a love affair with beeswax for 20 years. I love everything about it!

What you did to your cookbook would make Martha proud!

Lovey said...

I love that you posted about beeswax! I love the look and the smell! Love how you bound the book too!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tutorial here! As another reader wrote in another comment, "you rock"! I am dreaming of time I can spend doing this ... someday :-)

Debby said...

Thanks for the beeswax info! And you are one smart cookie! The book is awesome.
Debby

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

melty wax and cupcakes
YES a fiend, I mean friend after my own heart ;) Beeswax is how we sorta met afterall LOL
Very clever to rebind the book and make it even better than the original!!!
Take care of that cold, do you believe in Vit C or Zinc
both are helpful I find and then there's chicken soup of course.
oxo