Sunday, February 14, 2010

We Evolve in the Honeysuckle Breeze

This morning I was watching a DVD I purchased called KC Willis Collage Camp. I've watched a lesson or two over morning coffee (and yes, I will go back to rewatch). Today she started off with a statement: "It's OK to have a learning curve. It's OK to be bad. . .we evolve from a starting point." She then showed her very first creation in fabric which is nothing like what she creates today. I love her art which ranges from cowgirls to royalty. Her site is known as the Lipstick Ranch and you should take a peek if you are not familiar with her work. Fasten your seat belts, I am changing course a little bit....

Yes, every single one of us have evolved. I remember my first ATC creation which was created in 2007 and called "Balance." I bought books. I read about ATCs - I claimed I could not create on such a small canvas. I did not create another one until 2009..... I turned down swaps off and on between the years that went by. Little did I know eventually I would be emerged in creating a group of ATC alphabet cards. LOL. It is fun now to look back over the year and see how the ATCs have EVOLVED.... word of the day, my sweeties..... EVolve....So, here are the first ones:

And then, the one that changed the course of my art venture into ATCs..... the inspiration was a post on Magpie's Nest using the doll heads from Digital Collage Sheets. Yup, I was hooked, my inner ghoul could fly on her broom stick singing at the top of her cackling voice in the moon light .....


And the difference is stark, I admit it and am having so much fun with the "alpha bits"...... where I am headed right now -- to make some more.... The message this morning is don't throw the first art away, don't get discouraged (I did), and relish it all and see it in the larger context as the evolution on your artistic soul!

Later today - You will be getting one more post with Oliver pup and me celebrating my birthday. He was so cute.... so sweet - ok, i'm gushing and admit it. Later, friends, I am off to fly my broomstick singing in the melting snow and sunlight! WooooHooo....



4 comments:

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

You look right out of Snow White = absolutely ghoulishcious!!! Great makeup job!

How honored am I to be mentioned as inspiration = so sweet!!!
It is one of the beautiful parts of blogland, isn't it! So much sharing and eye candy and inspiration!
You inspire me too !!!
oxo
p.s. ready for more white stuff!

Debby said...

LOL...Great post and isn't it funny how our creations change as we continue down our path. Maybe I will see you out and about later, love flying around on my broom. You nailed it when you said Patty inspires, she certainly does.

debby

Terri said...

Woohooo for you Marlynn! Thank you for sharing about your learning and growing process. You are so inspiring to me. I remember the first time I saw one of your Hilda Conkling collages, I was so impressed I just had to "meet" you! I am always impressed with what you put together.
I have only been doing mixed media for about 5 years now, and when I look at what I did back then, I can really see a difference in how I use color and placement. My next platform to launch from is "expression".
How fun it is to stretch ourselves!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Patty is an inspiration to many of us. Isn't this network of friends just the best?

I was going to get my old altered book Chinese New Year tip-ins out today from previous years, but got busy with my blog instead. I am self taught and have never had good examples of wonderful art before. I have to admit, the previous years were not nearly as good as this one's due to all the inspiration I have gotten from you and others.