Wednesday, February 10, 2010

In the Honeysuckles, Karma can be a Mean Muse

Found this definition on the web:

“Karma influences our current life in two ways. First, we carry karma as part of our life conditions, though not all of our conditions are karmic in origin. Karma is the part of our conditions that represents unfinished business and other residues from the past. Second, we create future karma continually with every thought and action.”

Karma can be a Mean Muse. I have discovered, boys and girls, when you are young, you don’t have a clue that Karma is lurking out there in the wilds of our lives. Nope-- not a clue. We are too busy growing up and maturing and growing up and maturing, over and over again. Looking back, every once in a while, I do cringe on past actions (and yes, even chuckle here and there). For a while, there was a popular saying, “No Regrets.” Well, you can’t let regrets cripple you.

You have to ask for forgiveness and move on. However, if we are lucky, we sometimes do have a chance to right the wrongs. My advice to you: relish the chance and run with it. It can be a cleansing…. Might not be the final results you want but remember, in my world, you can set Karma right.


When I was very young and in my sophomore year in junior college in Kansas, I met a boy. We had a wonderful romance, he asked me to marry him, but he also asked me to quit school and put him through school then I could go back to school. Hmmmmm. Even at that young age of 20 I kind of knew that wasn't the way to go. Off to college to finish my junior and senior year in Oklahoma. Engaged in different cities. It doesn't work boys and girls.

Distance does not make the heart grow fonder, it just makes communication (back in those days of the late 60s) much more difficult. Much more difficult to stay in touch. Much more difficult to talk things through. We were young. Maybe I should have quit school and maybe not. That is neither here nor there since I did the unthinkable and MAILED the engagement ring back to him. To say my mother “had a cow,” would be putting it mildly. Hmmmmm. I told her I insured it. OUCH. (Not the thing to say to Mama when she was having a cow...)



We still had contact off and on…. In the meantime he got married (lasted quite a while with a child), I got married (mine did not last long). But, if I say so myself, the production of the wedding was cool. The fall has always been my favorite time of year, and so it was - an October wedding it was......



And trust me, Karma had nothing to do with this mismatch! No way....I knew it when he almost had a stroke when he found out I had ordered a chocolate wedding cake with light very light might call it buff icing.... and flowers all over it.... What's the problem, Loren? Lighten up, guy. (Yes, these photos will be going into an altered book, trust me, with some great captions.)


Back to Michael..... Once in a while separated by years, a call would come in – I didn't know he was separated, he never told me that one. (He had called my mother to get my number and she told him, he was her favorite and she liked him the best… this comes back, remember this line.) He got remarried (found out later)…. And so the saga went. Seems Karma was not going to get her due payment at this rate.

But Karma lurked and knew I needed to repay the deed.


A number of years ago, out of the blue, an email showed up, “Your Mother Liked Me Best.” Yup, I knew who it was. To make the story shorter, we did get to exchange many emails rehashing the past, apologizing for actions, and becoming comfortable with each other again. We have met several times over the years.

I’m grateful I was able to say “I’m sorry” – what was the line in the movie, “Love is never having to say your sorry” …. Well not this time – I had to say it to satisfy Ms. Karma.


And boys and girls, remember this – once she is satisfied the journey becomes much easier and you don’t have to go back and relive the same situations trying to get different results with the same behavior. Karma can be a Mean Muse but she can also be satisfied and leave you in Peace. *wink* Stay warm and tomorrow we will discuss, “Life Altering Events.” My final advice today: 1) live with intention; 2) right the regrets; 3) take no prisoners; and 4) love the adventure. I'm off to watch the snow and wind mangle the honeysuckles. Brrrrrrrr.....



6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had just posted my last comment when this one came up. Wow, this is deep and powerful, Marlynn. You must be in a snow covered mood. Waxing poetic, I dare say.

I have to agree that the pictures of your wedding are a hoot. They will definitely deserve honor spots in it. BTW, I love the cake.

Thanks for such an inspirational and thought provoking post.

Diane said...

Love it, love it, love it!! Now I know that our birthday is on the same day, but do we share the same wedding day? I was married on Oct.6.

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Birthday's often find me feeling nostalgic!
Any time of year is a great time to share your wisdom with us I would say dear M!
so thought provoking with perfect pics to go with!
I can almost "see" you now with our white out almost finished! :)
Hope you're getting your entire birthday week off?
oxo

Debby said...

Well there Missy, you are throwing out some powerful words today. Interesting, very interesting. I like it lots. The pics, can hardly wait to see that altered book, and the chocolate cake sure looks yummy!
Hugs,
debby

Anonymous said...

I remember the wedding well! I also remember the times well. Karma was weaving her lessons well all among us at the time. Recollections can be good when we look on them as the lessons we were supposed to learn all during the happy and tragic times. Karma is a certainty in our lives. Unfortunately, it is only layer upon layer of lessons from which we are supposed to learn, when it dawns on us Karma was tugging on those marrionette strings. Get the sissors out kiddies and cut those strings so as not to make the same mistakes, if possible, over and over again. Even out of tragic times and good times, life lessons are learned. Victoria

Lovey said...

No words...just...no words can be found...My Heart to Yours. (Just Thank you...) sniffle