Saturday, January 16, 2010

A this and a that in the Honeysuckles

Busy little start this morning especially since I rose at 6:30 am on a Saturday. OK, I had enough rest and enjoyed a morning ritual which included a cup of coffee, reading all the facebook news, commenting on a few, a cup of coffee, watched DVR of Project Runway, breakfast, and then got started.

Yesterday, I bought a copy of the latest Where Women Create, their one-year anniversary issue, and loved each page. OK, I'm still reading it. If you can't find a copy at your book store or craft store, you can order one at Stampington. Make sure you read Jo Packham's editorial. Brought a tear to my eye. A commentary of mothers and daughters.

I am re-framing a small cross-stitch I sewed in 1991 and getting ready to send it on a little journey. I have decided that it needs to spend some time with someone else I've met in blogger land. Don't ask why - it's just something I know in my own little Netherlands. I trust my gut instincts. I love the way it has "stained" over the years hanging in it's 5 x 5 frame and hope you can see it in the photo.

It was fun "rewashing" it after all these years and chuckling over what my German Grandmother said, "the back of your piece needs to look as good as the front." Grandma was right.....




It is now back in it's frame and the "brown paper bag" backing is drying. I'll show you that later when it dries. It is a little trick I learned from my dear Aunt Mary. Once, and only once, I did do some coffee staining on a new cross-stitch (I wanted it to look old) and thought I would faint once I applied the coffee. It was a cross-stitch I picked up at the Orchard House (Little Women) in Concord, MA. The stain really worked (yes, I surprised myself with that one).


The one thing I did not do on this cross-stitch which you really should do was initial and date it. I did do it on the back of the frame..


Well, I need to run some errands, get some lunch, and start on another project today. I very well may be back to see you one more time today. In the meantime, check out Oliver's (my little nephew-pup) blog, It's All About the Little White Dog. His mommy is sayin', in not too many words, that he's got Spock ears? ... really.... really..... hmmmmm,


3 comments:

Diane said...

I used to cross stitch, too--very relaxing. And I love the results of coffee staining. And I had an Aunt Mary too--one of the most creative and giving person I've ever known. I also visited Oliver's blog :)

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

starting at the end, precious precious puppy ... should be a cover shot for some magazine! Free and Easy magazine perhap!

Love your little Amish girl and dolly stitchery, what a lovely gift to send away to a new home!

I can't look at the Where Women Create makes me twitch teehee and wonder if I must clean up ! I will have to have a look now that you've mentioned it!

just did a down the doll head path again bbb post and it's all your fault ;)
oxo

Linda Jo said...

Ohhhhh...I have so much framed cross-stitch. What a great thing you are doing with this piece. And...meant to say on other post...your Aunt Mary was a smart woman.