Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Chopsticks in the Breeze


As some readers know I went to a holiday party last Saturday, Jan. 2. It was an annual party which had to be "delayed" due to the 22"-24" of snow we received on Saturday, Dec. 19. My Asian friends are wonderful. However, they always seem to make fun of me and chopsticks. Hey, boys and girls, I was born and raised in Oklahoma City and way back when I don't remember any Asian restaurants. Mexican, yes, Asian, no. Nope, Nope, Nope, sure don't. As far as I'm concerned chopsticks make wonderful creative sticks that you can have a lot of fun with.

Let me share with you that I love shows like Top Chef, Chef Academy, Hell's Kitchen, Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares.... I also loved Julia Childs cooking shows when I was younger and would sit with my German grandmother who was not making very positive comments about her "waste" of food..... Yes, Grandma would have made something with all those dough scraps Julia tossed.... (move over Julia - I'm starting my own show....)


OK, it might be called Chef Academy Dropout .... I still can't understand why I can't use the sticks to stir the pot and yes, I did go on a fishing trip trying to catch something in the chicken soup.

I managed while being laughed at - BUT I did it my way:


At least I was not playing with my food like I usually do in the Asian restaurants until they bring me forks. You would think my friends would give up on "teaching" me how to use chopsticks..... They do come in handy in making books, however, and I have used them in my art. You have seen my two Asian wax creations recently and some of you might not remember the two page spread I did in my Gratitude Journal last fall:



I found the Japanese catalogue at Paper Source on sale and I am still using the images.....

OK, boys and girls, those are your lessons in how not to use your chopsticks and, no, I am not encouraging you to play with food using the sticks - leave that to the professionals - like ME.... Goodnight!

8 comments:

Debby said...

Hey, hey, great post! Love your collage. Happy New Year!

Terri said...

Thanks for sharing that you are chopstick challenged! (ME TOO!).
I have used them to curl paper, to hold down sticky things, I have made magic wands of them, but I have not successfully eaten with them, much to the chagrin of my very talented daughter who speaks Japanese and lived in Japan for a summer :)
(Did I mention I was proud of her???)
Your Asian pages are wonderful! You always do such a creative job of it!
I am glad you are having so much fun!

Anonymous said...

WHEW...you made it throught the chopsticks! They are a challenge for so many (me included)...but you give me hope that someday I TOO may be able to navigate them! Lovely pages, fun post, and you are a CUTIE! Happy New Year, my friend. Keep posting...I love reading your blog!

forcryeye said...

Ha Ha! Your pages are a fanastic example of how chopsticks should be used! FYI: My first job was at a Chinese resturant, and Mr. Chee always used a fork! His favorite food was "American breakfast". God, I miss Mr. Chee. My Mom called him my Chinese Godfather. Worked there for 10 years. xo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had a wonderful laugh from this post. Although your collages are nothing to laugh at, since they are stunning, I thought your take on chopsticks was simply side splitting. That photo of you using them was one (or should I say "won") for the books. Very funny.

BTW, the original reason I started this comment was to let you know I'm going to use "Taps" as the title of my Hand page. How clever of you!!

Unknown said...

Chopsticks are great if you want to eat s-l-o-w-l-y (because you can't grab your food!) Give me a fork every time!

Your Asian art is lovely!

Anonymous said...

Like you, I am chopstick challenged too. Love your artwork -- glad I found your blog through another blog friend!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm featuring your blog today (Jan 8) on my blog. It's the least I can do for the wonderful title you gave me.

BTW, I am in love with the turkey netting. I'm a vegetarian, so I had no idea how great these are. Veggie and fruit netting is much tighter, but I've been playing around with one for several days, thinking I would make it work somewhere, but so far nothing. I love how you recycle. A gal after my own heart.