Thursday, January 14, 2010

Random Acts of Kindness in the Breeze

This has been a fun week on several levels. Today in my mail box I found a RAK from one of my BFFs in Missouri. She knows me and we've never met. She knows I have been nagging her to put some of her old sheet music in her Etsy shop. She hasn't done it yet, I just offered to buy the whole box. I really LOVE old sheet music, I love the smell of it. OK, I sniff old music. I openly admit it. I sniff. I want it all. Well, OK, I'm trying to control myself not to reach over and grab the music and smell it. I want all my blogging friends to go over to her Etsy Shop, Ruby Floy, and see the wonderful items she sells. I'm one her best customers. Yes, I am. Notice the old cancelled check from 1973 she picked up at some estate sale and is using as a note. OMG, Nat, you Rock or is that ROK!



Over on FaceBook it seems to be "retro" week and a lot of individuals are posting retro photos. Well, of course, I have the one on the blog in my little Cowgirl hat but I also found another one. 1966, St. John's College, such a young thing I was....... Now, today, boys and girls, this hairdo is known as an "updo" - What was once old is now new again. The circle of time keeps spinning its web.

I have to admit something to you all. No, it has nothing to do with sniffing. I have mumbled these past few weeks about starting an art journal for the new year. I do have my "word" - and it is "organization" - no matter if I ever do an art journal or not. I even spent some money on a site, Art Journal Caravan, that is doing art journaling - yes, there are many wonderful sites around and I think the images I received for the price I paid were great.

I love the Somerset Studio Art journaling magazine and buy everyone of them and read them cover to cover. They inspire me, I get ideas from the artists, I wish I could do it. However, I have to admit that it is not my art form and I don't need to be trying to copy others in order to do one. I love doing layouts in my journals (one of my favorite layouts is Poirot using magazine images), but these creations are not "art journaling." This decision has lifted a weight off me. (OK, I do get dramatic, yes I have been on stage, thank you kindly.)



And now, as I breathe out, I can say I have started a new layout. I searched last night for an unused book and managed to paint the page with Gesso and look for images.




I believe this will be called "Soul Sisters" but not sure just yet.... The one thing that is certain -- is my living room floor by my rocker/recliner is in chaos. But it is the best place to cut out little images which I do enjoy - goes back to childhood... I need to now begin distressing the background. That's what I'm working on...... what might you be up to?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, Soul Sister, Your altered book/ journal pages look GREAT! I recognized Hercule immdeiately, even though it's been YEARS since I've Mystery! on PBS. :)

Thanks for the HUGE endorsement!

Truth be told about the canceled checks... they are my Great Aunt Rachel's (by marriage even, not a direct relation) and quite literally trash, but not to me! I glean after the closer relations take what they want. They take the Tupperware and couch, but leave the good stuff! :)

You NEED a WHOLE BOX of old sheet music?

Diane said...

I love looking at art journals, and I love that magazine, too. And I keep saying that I'm want to start one--and that's the key word--start, but will I finish it. I am going to start one...someday. I know what you mean about sheet music--I'm like that with old books-I love the way they smell, and I have so many, so I'm thinking I should alter one, but will I? (I don't know :) I'm going to check out the Etsy shop now.

Terri said...

I'm with you on the old sheet music thing! I love the photo you posted of what you got. FAB!

Your retro photo is gorgeous, It is definitely you, I can see you so clearly in it. I just love this photo of you!
Your journaling is what you want it to be. You go girl! What you do is perfect! Your "soul sister" book is off to a great start!

I am still putting my art room back together, it is close to being "done". I am looking for an old chandelier to shabby up for it.
And I am going to make a slip cover for one of my chairs.
So, that, and finishing up a couple swaps and hosting a swap and making a craft video (tomorrow, I hope) is what I am up to. Whew!
Hugs,
Terri

Julie Prichard said...

If you run out of sheet music...email your friend Julie.

THIS IS ART JOURNALING...what do you mean?

and...I rocked that same up-do for my wedding..and I was married in 1999.

Unknown said...

Forgot to mention how beautiful your photo is. You were and still are very photogenic!

verification word, "quido"
slang for "quid pro quo".
heeheeheehee

Either that or Father "Quido" Sarducci (vintage Saturday Night Live!)

Debby said...

Hah!!! You are spoiled, awesome goodies. I enjoyed reading your post and love your FB pic!!! Can hardly wait to see the finsihed altered book.
Hugs,
debby

Anonymous said...

Oh Marlynn you are just too much lol :)
Sniffing old music hehehe !!!
I love your photo its gorgeous and please do add me on facebook its june macfarlane
Happy new year my friend and i am loving your journal pages too
Hugs June xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is one sweet post and a great endorsement for Nathalie. Love that you use magazine images in your journals. Doesn't matter what they're called. They're your art and that's what is important.

Anonymous said...

So much to comment on in this post today! And so much I relate to... First, the old sheet music. While scouring a local flea market for my art projects two years ago, I found a wonderful old/yellowed hymnal filled with Gregorian chant music -- yes! -- which I used in some tiny altered board books I made for Christmas gifts. That sheet music still finds its way into other projects now. I can't wait to visit the link you provided, to look at the sheet music there...

And art journals. I would love to keep one too. But since I'm a writer by profession, I struggle to find the time to write in my regular journal (and meet deadlines) AND have free time for my altered art projects. Art journaling is on my wish list -- my "someday list." But like you, I LOVE looking at other artists' journals, and also enjoy the Somerset magazines.

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

more proof that good things come out of chaos Ms M!!!

wonderful eye candy ... giggling about sniffing sheet music and is Monsieur Peirot looking up the model's ... Mais Non, not our Hercule ;)

You are a beauty queen my dear, fab photo!

Another really fun post M!

and Nathalie is one great gal too!
You both ROK!
oxo

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

ooo and the Nun, when I was little I put towels on my head just so ... thinking I might be a nun one day!
NOT! Love that image!!! and what you've done with it

Linda Jo said...

I can't believe you are friends with Nathalie!!!!!