Sunday, May 23, 2010

Yes, the Kinights are still alive in ole London towne

Hello, my little honeysuckles. We are back in our series about the Photo Sleeve Scrapbook of my trip to London - for those of you who have been following it.

One premise when Ron, Betsy and I decided to visit London and Paris in one week was to see a number of sights mentioned in the DaVinci Code. This is one of those sights. Although Ron and Betsy had been to London a number of times they had never seen this church: The Temple Church.

I fell in love with the knights on top of the pole marching off to the crusades. The church was closed the day we showed up and we would not have a chance to get back to it during our trip. Another good reason to return, don't you think?

If you have read the DaVinci Code and remember, inside are 10 sarcophagus: five knights on the left and five on the right. Would have loved to have seen them. Next time. And yes, I was ripping up the book to identify the places....

Next we just went on a stroll and ended up in the Fleet Street District... do you hear Jack Ripper shopping for surgical tools? I love the English and their statues everywhere....

A pleasant surprise was to find a Twinings Tea Shop on the street we were strolling on....

Too bad the Devils Tavern was not there....... the plaque was! I loved the flower boxes...


And now into the middle of Fleet Street...... and the walkways of Jack the Ripper..... he would not recognize it today.

The text behind the photo was printed onto vellum and it an excerpt from a book about Jack.... And last - you cannot enter the City of London without spotting the Gryphon's Statue:

I loved this photo and ended up reprinting it on a transparency which you see in the top sleeve underneath the original photo. The Gryphon is a legendary creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle. It protects and is at the entrance to the city. Fascinating tales about the creature. Click on "Gryphon" and it will take you to the definition and tales of this creature.


Well, that is it for this Sunday. It has rained off and on. My tennis match was cancelled and I ended up cleaning and vacuuming. OH my - what a concept. I haven't done it for a while and even ended up with two bags for the Goodwill. Need to run out for some Wii tennis and then back here for dinner and a lazy evening! Got a Team Tennis match tomorrow night (the third rain-make-up game and we are hoping it won't rain!) so I might not visit with you till Tuesday. For those of you Losties out there - I hope the finale of this series is everything you hoped for tonight! I stopped watching after the third season...... Enjoy

3 comments:

Diane said...

What a fascinating city!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your lovely London photos make me think I visited along with you. I especially like the one with Fleet street. And you used several nice techniques, too.

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

I know you are having fun revisiting your trip...it certainly is fun for me!
Your pages looks great!
What a town that is!