Thursday, May 13, 2010

O = Oracle

Yes, the "O" is done! I love the story of the oracles of Delphi. Click here for a fascinating article about "The Delphic Oracle" by Eloise Hart. She writes, "The Oracle of Apollo at Delphi was one of the world's most intriguing and unusual establishments. Within that ancient temple-sanctuary located beneath the "Shining Rocks" of Mount Parnassus, the god Apollo spoke through a Pythia, or human priestess, and offered inspiration and guidance to all who sought his aid." One needs to remember that these oracles were always women. Every once in a while the History Channel and National Geographic will do special on this subject. As you saw the other day we started out with general images:

I decided not to use the bird cage which was metal mesh cut from one of the Tim Holtz new die cuts! More stuff to select from:

Transparency, Greek page, and old music scrap.... Got the images for the ATC glued down:

The transparency is called Raffle Leaf from Screen Prints. Found a left over red butterfly wing and thought we needed to add some color.... And then we found the watch parts..... oh, yeah,


Started adding little bits here and there. Had to use one on her eye:

A metal corner - luckily had two....


And so here she is with her watch parts and silver corners.....

One more letter left --- the dreaded "Z"...... OK, I know we were talking about Zingaro (Ital. for Gypsy) but I really have to consider what I call one of the newest "fads" -- Zentangle. Hmmmm. Yes, I said I would never do them. I don't like my doodles. But I did buy a book:

You notice I jumped to book 2 - truth be known - they didn't have book 1. And so I played:

Do I like it - no. But I will do a few more tonight and make up my mind of the very last alphabet ATC! Enjoy the evening, my little honeysuckles....

7 comments:

Diane said...

I have that same book, and I've been doodling, but I don't like my doodles. I think because doodling is just that--doodling--your not supposed to think about it--you just do it--oh well, I'll keep trying. I like your O card--it's very fascinating. I also wanted to say thanks for your comment on my blog, and also--I know that I probably won't have time to watch Survivor tonight, and won't be home until late Sunday--which means I might have to stay clear of my Verizon main page--they always have things like this on their page. I don't know how I'm going to do this on Monday morning :)

Unknown said...

Love your artwork...your atc is amazing and I love how you used so many different things but they tie in so nicely!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Now that I know the back story to the Delphi Oracle, this piece has more meaning. All those wonderful watch parts added so much interest and worked so well with your layout.

I've done exactly ONE zentangle after seeing what Patti S. made using rubber stamps as the foundation for them. I probably won't make another. I just don't doodle and really don't own the number or type of pens you really need to doodle.

Thanks for all your sweet comments. I had trouble earlier trying to post, so finally gave up and came back after blogger's temper tantrum was over.

Debby said...

Grrrrr...I haven't tried the doodle thing..lol..no time for that...I really like your O card, cool..
Hugs,
Debby

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

You zentangled! hahaa never say never! It took me a while to like my doodles, when I finally relaxed and just looked at it as filling in the spaces, things went more smoothly for me! I think yours is fab!
All of your Oracle talk is so cool AND your card is amazing! Enjoyed every step it took for the final masterpiece! must go check out your link too!
oxos

Anonymous said...

These are so beautiful -- love the "Oracle" especially. You're spot on about those oracles being women. There were many goddesses to inspire in those "old" religions, and I am always intrigued. (Sometime you will have to read Sue Monk Kidd's "Dance of the Dissident Daughter" if you haven't yet.) Anyhoo, thanks for the lift today. (And for your lovely comments on my blog as well.)

Your work is always inspiring and clever. And Tim Holtz...just got his new "Compendium" in the mail today. What serendipity!

Oxana said...

You ATC is amazing!!!