Monday, May 17, 2010

Scrapbooking, HUH? Hmmmmm

During my delightful tea with Patty on Saturday we discussed a little about scrapbooking. . . Or, AKA, my story and how I started into this wonderful world of ours via Scrapbooking - the Creative Memories way. I am not saying that sarcastically, I think the movement started in Utah was a very important one in preserving our heritage within our families. My mother passed away in October 1998 and I ended up inheriting a lot of photos. You all have heard this same story before in other's lives. I had to do something with them and Creative Memories was the way to go at that time. It was also at the same time I ordered some stamps from a company called Stampin' Up ... and then migrated to card making, altered books, and whatever I do today.


I worked tirelessly (I was not playing tennis at that time) and got the years 1980-2002 scrapped. The plays:



Halloween....
(Yes, Patty - that is me as a nun. LOL) Sorry my little suckles - an inside joke....

The first Cruise,



And the day before Mother died with her sister, Aunt Mary,

And finally, the Grandmothers, The German one, Grandma,

And the Southern one, Momo,

Yes, I scrapped and then stopped. And started. And stopped. My tastes changed. I made smaller scrapbooks honoring special occasions like my brother's wedding to his second wife, a scrapbook for my niece sharing some of my life with her and sending her some more photos, some small tennis scrapbooks for friends, and so on.... So where is this post heading? Good question. I guess what I am trying to say - is this task of scrapbooking is very important. I explained to Patty that I read a book, on the recommendation of my good friend Korie (We Will Always Have Paris) and it changed my attitude toward the Creative Memories type of scrapping. It was quicker and was just as fun. AND, it provided the opportunity to be just as creative but "quicker." I will show that to you tomorrow. *wink* Yes, you can wait, boys and girls, but here are the books:
Photo Freedom and The Big Picture should be in every ones library! Go over and visit Korie's blog (link above) and you will see how she does a page-a-day...... She tried to suck me into that one time, I "just said NO"...... However, I need to finish my Paris photos, Berlin photos, Estonia photos, Crusie photos.... OH NO.....I did finish London. Photo Sleeve Scrapbooking? You betcha. OH my, I need to go debrief and watch mindless TV. See ya tomorrow!











6 comments:

Lovey said...

Oh Colleen! How wonderful that you were able to scrap all these wonderful pictures...and events. I want to get back to it one day too! Right now...I'm so focused on my art though...you know? Hugs...and Smiles!

Diane said...

This is such an excellent way of recording times in your life, and where are all of my past photos?--in boxes all over the house--someday :)
I watched Survivor--poor Russell--he just made too many enemies. I guess he needs to get the social part of the game down.

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

You are winning me over M!
I guess it is the same with most things ... just begin!
Your habit(s) ;) suit you!!!
Sister Mary Marylnn teehee!
ok, this is me headed back to bed, not feeling too spiffy yet!
oxo

Debby said...

Oh how fun, I like this very much.
debby

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Marlynn, what a fantastic post. I have never been a scrapbooker. Just don't care for it. First, I have no photos of my grandparents, and none of me until around the 1980s. I don't even have a picture of me graduating from high school. I don't think my grands (who raised me) even owned a camera. There were no photos in my baby album, just a bunch of statistics (could be why I love stats so much). All my photos are of trips, none of me or people. Just buildings, museums, and historic landmarks. I don't have anyone to leave these memories to, either, so it would be pointless to spend so many HOURS AND DOLLARS to make something no one wants to see. Just can't come up with a good reason to pull them out of their acid free boxes. Maybe someday, but not today.

Terri said...

I didn't know you started out in scrapbooking. It sounds like you have quite a bit to do. Photo sleves could be a nifty quick way to get it done. I love seeing your photo albums!