Saturday, February 28, 2009

Honeysuckle Breeze is cloudy and cold



Whew - suppose to have sleety weather headed in later tonight. It has been a cloudy Saturday but it is Saturday. Oliver's mom and I ran out and had lunch and then hit Angela's Happy Stamper where we ran into Donna. Love her and her blog. She does great reviews of the Amazing Race, Survivor, Top Chef, etc. etc! I also picked up a special order of 7gypsies new products and used one in the March calendar layout.





Yes, tomorrow is March 1 and I have Miss Elspeth Lipsleigh who did in her man at Towage Regis in 1892. The only information we have about the case is that she "eventually succeeded in causing the death of Arthur Glumm at Towage Regis, 1892." Oh Mr. Gorey where are you when we need to pick your brain? OK, I know you are dead but I can dream can't I? What would lead such a prime and proper lady to do in her suitor?

Hmmmmm, did she ever find a suitor good enough for her or did she just keep doing them in for the sport? For this piece, I used one of my new digi sheet prints and it is downloadable from PaperWhimsy. I printed the page off onto vellum and love the look. And yes I know I just changed the original Edward Gorey image. Yes, I know but WOW is it not fun!

Since I was totally changing the image - I figured why not change the story. There was never any mention on poison that I could find about her other "attempts" but I had stamped the an image onto mica a while back and even tho blurry I felt it added some dimension to the work.




On the top of the vellum, I added Miss Lipsleigh after coloring the image with Tombo markers. (You will note that I also proped her up with chip board behind image to give it more of a 3D effect.) After "coloring" the image I took a damp cloth and smeared it a little and then went back over. I added some gold "lace" around her waist with looks like an apron. You know a girl has to sometimes clean up after herself. Here is my puzzlement. How did she do him in. In the original drawing she was outside with a stool and these black balls and am no sure what they are except obviously heavy enough to be tossed off the upper landing and probably hit him and killed him. As stated above, I also imagined that she might have used a little benzoic acid to poison him and if that didn't work than tossed the bowling ball type weapon at him.



One interesting item I found at Angela's was a new product from 7gypsies (no kidding, Sherlock) called crystal ring dangles. I clipped it onto an old key and applied to art work. I was pleased with my find!



Guess it really doesn't matter and I do believe there are Goreyites out there who know all of these stories but are in hiding. I did discover they are selling these calendar images as notecards at Gorey web site. Found them when I googled Miss Elspeth .... but no more to the story. Rest in piece my neglected murderess! I hope your 15 minutes of FAME were worth it and I sure it was. Speaking of 15 minutes - I need to run. Oliver and his mum are coming over for chilic which has been simmering in the crock pot all day! Oh boy, Oliver time!

1 comment:

mccommas said...

I think the artist made the names up. I was looking them up on Wikipedia and Yahoo and first, I found absolutely nothing and two, the names all sounded funny(Nurse Rosebeetle, Mrs Fled-away, Emily Toastwater, Natasha Batti Loupstein,Lettice Finding etc.) I didn't catch on to that until I keyed a lot of them in and noticed the pattern. Not a Jane Smith in the bunch.

I am very disappointed! I thought it was quite titillating (in a not so wholesome way!). I wanted to find out their punishment (if any).

On the bright side no one seems to have really lost their lives. The one where the sister throws her brother down a well bothered me.