Sunday, February 1, 2009

Angelica Transome


Today is February 1st. You know what time it is? Time for the next installment of our artfully altered Edward Gorey Neglected Murderesses calender. Like where did January go, huh?

In a synopsis found on the Barnes & Noble web site we discover a little more of who Angelica was.... well maybe. I tried, once again, to google the murderess. Did I look long enough, probably not. However, I stopped looking when I found this gem about Angelica. I did not write this.

This is a quote directly from the Barnes & Noble site. I would recommend that you go over and check it out. The calendar is available for sale and it seems to me that Barnes is giving more info on the murderesses than google! Thank you Barnes & Noble. AND, please, support your local book store, please, please, please!

"Christened Angelica Transome, in a village infelicitously named Nether Postlude, a girl might be tempted to behave ghoulishly. And having misbehaved, might she not think herself deserving of a headline or two, possibly a mini-series, if only after the hangman had got her? But no. Neglected was Angelica and neglected too were the eleven other thugs, poisoners, sportswomen, and hobbyists assembled here for a belated commemoration. If not for Gorey's droll sleuthing, we might never have appreciated the important part women have played in the history of homicide."



Is she not a beauty? I can honestly say I understand Angelica's frustration with her little brother. Did I ever want to do mine in? I take the 5th. Did I try? I take the 5th. The tricycle with me on it just happened to fly down the stairs into him and his bottle - however, I didn't do it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I decided to add the clipart of the "nun" I found at Charming Sam's web site. At first I thought maybe Angelica was remorseful and joined the nunnery? Personally, I like whomever wrote the synopsis on Barnes & Noble site. So, most likely the sweet nun is praying for Angela's soul..... sounds plausible?



You can see the "before" look in the first photo on this blog. You know, Edward was just waiting for a collage job! This is the first page to be layered. I have to admit that when I received the calendar as a Christmas gift, I went out on a search for a second one so I could do some cut and pasting (if I wanted to) each month. It works.... Below is the finished product. Edward - please do not roll over in your grave, big guy. I love you. The world is a little less spooky following your passing into the afterlife.

And, before I leave you, I have to say how disappointed I was that Roger Federer did not win the Australia Open. Rafael Nadal was just too good on this day. I was cheering for you Roger. You are so easy on the eyes. I woke up at 3:30 am this morning and turned ESPN2 on to see the live match. I woke up at 3:30 am because I was hacking from this cold. I dozed off and on and then finally got up only to see the 5th set where Roger lost sight of the goal (I think) or he was just dead tired. I have no idea how these two guys played this game so intense, so hard, so full of soul..... and yes so full of tears at the end. Sorry Roger, love you.

1 comment:

Boutade said...

Thanks for doing this. I think you really have struck a vein...well of something valuable anyway! Gorey we love you to death!

What a strange and interesting craftwork you are doing here. I can't turn away!