Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A wonderful day in the neighborhood......

Just finished some pumpkin spice Chai tea and a couple of loverly cookies with that wonderful soft white icing and green and red sprinkles.... they were bought but some one's Mom baked them.... you know.... I did manage to get some baking done. Three small cranberry loaves and two big loaves of Cinnamon Swirl Bread. Needed to take them to tennis......

Played cardio tennis today and I swear I have put on 15 pounds since Friday with my snacking and the candy JUMPING into my grocery cart today after tennis at the store. I lumbered on the tennis court, yes lumbered. I swear I don't know where the candy came from in the photo below, I really don't know where the stuff came from....

However, I will direct your attention to the orange tag - "Beyond Repair" - found it on the sidewalk by the grocery store and all of a sudden chuckled and thought of myself..... Can you imagine waking up one morning with this tag hanging around your neck saying you are beyond repair. Yup, I can - or my tacky brother would hang it on my toe for the heck of it..... (he told me the other day they needed to update the meaning for "stupid" in the dictionary after I stapled my fatty thigh with my trusty staple gun.) Brothers! Hmmm, maybe I dropped him too many times on his head when he was little and I was 13 months older than him? You think....



Now, back to the real reason I am posting....... in keeping with the Christmas spirit, here is the "red" tree. This is where I channel Martha Stewart when putting all those itsy bitsy ribbons on it. I really love this tree and have had it for many years.

Hello Martha (Stewart) - Love you!



The dining room table is all done.....



My bedroom is taken care of this year............



And Grandma's sewing machine always has the "A Cup of Christmas Tea" teapot and cup....



If you are not familiar with that story - google it. It is a favorite of mine every year... I love rereading it and will even have a cup of Christmas tea .....I bought the Tea Set a few months before my mother died. I was going to travel to Oklahoma City with it and have Christmas tea with her in her room in the nursing home. But it was not to be, she died in October 1998..... I kept the set and celebrate her life when I bring it out at Christmas time. I know she enjoys the tea with me - I feel her presence.


AND, I was so excited to get a Santa Dollar in change last week. I didn't realize I had received it until I was straightening out my dollar bills in my purse and there it was. I consider it my lucky dollar and am keeping it! Enjoy your evening tonight.... My sugarplums dance where they want to as long as they leave my chocolate alone! Ho Ho Ho.....




9 comments:

Lindart said...

Loved to see your lovely house and tree - especially love the tea set story! I've never heard of a "Santa dollar" - is it real currency? Very cool to have one! Have a wonderful Christmas!!

forcryeye said...

Your home looks so warm and inviting. I would love to share a cup of tea with you and reminisce about our Grandmothers. I am so grateful for all of your kind words, and the lovely packages you sent to me after the fire. I think of you every time I turn on my light! Merry Christmas to an amazing woman who shares my silly sense of macabre humor! xo PS: smack your brother for me :)

Terri said...

Marlynn, your home looks so Christmassy and inviting! You have done a beautiful job decorating it.
I loved your post. You must miss your mum. I am glad you have good memories. I have never heard of a Santa dollar, you must be lucky indeed!
Cheers
(btw, I made fresh chai again today too, yum!)
I am off to bake more cookies, as I have messed up the first batch!)

Julie Prichard said...

LOL Wait a minute.....is that Santa Dollar real? I think I am a big fat sucker...

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

another lovely festive post dear M!!! sweet and touching
Love never dies ...
your house must not only LOOK lovely but smell really wonderful too!!!
oxoxo

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Oh and I Love the photo of you and the precious one of your Mom and you too!
That's it ... me jingling off into Christmas Eve ... visions of ...
Ho Ho Ho
oxo

Unknown said...

There are Santa Dollars and they are legal tender? This is the first I've heard of them! I didn't think the gov't had a sense of humor...

Well, at least you are descerning (sp?) when it comes to your choice of candy (face it, pixies did not put the chocolate in your grocery cart- they are busy putting cheesecake in mine!)

Anonymous said...

You are NOT "beyond repair" my dear! I think you're close to perfect! And your home is so beautiful...as is you picture! Cute hair and great smile. Hey, baking great food is MEANT to be eaten! You can play more tennis after the holidays!
Merry Merry to you...love your blog!
Jan-ella

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's always nice to see how someone decorates their home for Christmas. Yours is lovely.

I really, really love the "beyond repair" tag. I am anxious to see how you really use it (and not on your brother).