Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Waxing once again in the Honeysuckles

And all I had was just one more Christmas present to create. Just one. The lovely friend - I still had yet to find a present for - prefers creations not "store-bought" and I was up a proverbial creek this year, yes I was. I usually make her Asian cross-stitch pillows - very Feng Shui, I think.... I have some more to make but this year got away from me... These are from a few years back:



So, nope, didn't do it this year. Hmmmmmmm - OK, let's get started.... killed time by fixing a drawer in my craft cabinet - I really had to do it before I could do anything.



I had to get in that specific drawer which was "stuck" as if something was blocking the drawer as you pull it out - but it couldn't be that easy - it was a screw in the runner that was loose and blocking everything. I will not share the gory details of how I got that baby to come out. Ugly, simply ugly, didn't know I had it in me. I got it fixed and retrieved the charms to use in the belated Christmas gift. Retrieved the tools of the trade - waxing wanly.....


And more tools......The piece I created is called, "Heritage." Pulled out some Asian papers I had and just started layering the paper, the wax, the paper, the wax.....


I love waxing on canvas (not my brows or upper lips - that is an ouchy) since it can be so forgiving. If you don't like it, just heat and pull up! I literally pulled out the "gold" leaves (from my stash of stuff) which were in the packet in a circle, waxed them down, waxed some ribbon and then waxed a flat key on top.


My feeling is the key to the past, present, and future is all wrapped in our heritage and we need to honor those who have gone before in order to live fully in the present...



This is my friend's granddaughter and mother and the photo was taken on a trip the child did to Taiwan several years ago. The image of the boy was found in some "free" clip art in my Somerset Studio magazine....


The finished product:



3 comments:

Lindart said...

Beautiful Marlynn! I love the antiquey look of this! Beautifully laid out and balanced! I have a basket full of beeswax stuff to play with, and haven't yet. Something to do in 2010!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have to admit that I followed you here from Patty Szymkowicz's blog. I had seen your name before, but never clicked till now. And of course I love what I see. I hope this doesn't qualify me for stalker status.

I was laughing so hard at the drawer, I had to stop and wipe tears from my eyes. What a funny and clever post. I'm off to enjoy the rest of your blog.

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

LOL...as we like to say...YOU FUNNY!
Your beeswax play turned out splendidly!!! What a lovely gift!
oxo