Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Sewing Muse # 2


Once again, I'm back talking about my sewing muse, Joni. She has made a number of items for me in our exchanges. She also has an incredible Esty Shop at Vintage 1955. It is definitely worth a peek. Trust me.... go take a peek and you will find a number of Christmas gifts to buy for friends and for yourself.

I fell in love with Joni Greenman's work when Somerset held a bid on her "Little Women" book she created. Donations would help a charity called "Page Ahead" which encourages reading among children. I wanted that book. I wanted that book really bad and so I bid on it and I won. I doubt that anyone came too close and I made my bid that way on purpose. I was so focused on that book. I also knew that I was going to see the Alcott home in Concord, MA, and so having that book meant a lot to me. I have always loved Little Women - the book and the movies through time.

After that Joni and I started corresponding and she also became an "artist-on-call" for several Stampington publications. You can see her creations in Somerset, Sew, and Inspirations. Once you start to notice her works you will be able to just look and know it is another Joni Creation. Joni encouraged me in my sewing on paper and I am grateful for her guidance. I also love her work. Here are a few of her creations. There isn't much you need to say about her artistry! I appreciate her sewing talent. When you order from her Etsy shop, I love the packaging - - she is liberal with dress pattern paper which, of course, I reuse!

I love the Little Men card. This is the second Louise May Alcott author playing card she has sent me.





The author cards are special. Joni sent the Little Women tag to me after I had received the Little Women book. When I went to Concord I found a cross stitch of Orchard House that you would imagine the young Alcott girls sewing. I ended up making three of those cross stitches. One for Joni, one for my high school girlfriend Pam, and one for myself. It was fun to be able to sew something for Joni and share my love of cross stitch samplers with her. Yes, I have a number of samplers and, in fact, have an antique one sewn in the 1800's.

THANK you Joni! I am still sewing on the sewing machine that came this close to being trashed with glee in the garbage! I hope that sucker machine knows you saved its wretched little butt. Does a sewing machine have a butt? Who knows!

No comments: