Monday, November 17, 2008

Fabric Books


Although I love fabric books and am working on one, I have only made one. I took a class taught by Beverly Seymour one summer. I have taken a number of her classes when she is in town. This fabric book was really fun and was my first one. I'm not sure when I happened but I started laying pages out and having them tell a story. It just sort of evolved that way. One of my favorite ones was the "old maid" page on one side and the "dear john" on the other side. The old maid is clip art from Beverly and I found the man on a piece of Lynne Perrella paper sold through Stampington & Company. I used Diamond Glaze to make his monocle stand out, however you can't really see it.





The interesting thing in this book is I never sewed anything in it. This was done before my sewing on paper days. Another favorite page is the one I did of the WWI solider. "In Flanders Field the poppies blow, between the crosses row on row. . ." I had to memorize that poem (written in 1915) in junior high and it still sends chills down my spine. WWI was more of a scary war to me than WWII. It makes me sad for no reason and I remember, in junior high, of watching a Lew Ayres movie (1930), "All's Quiet on the Western Front," and the final scene was a solider in the trench reaching for a butterfly and at the same time a French sniper shoots and kills him - the final scene is the butterfly in his open palm. Lew Ayres became a pacifist after that movie and had trouble finding work in Hollywood especially when WWII broke out. Most remember him for his Dr. Kildare movies.



My final two pages are fun one dealing with royalty. I don't think I need to say much more. I really enjoyed making this fabric book.


No comments: