Friday, July 1, 2011

When in doubt, call 1-800-Hoarders, not me.


I am sure we have watched this Hoarders show at some point and can I bet we have thought - "OH no, not me." That stuff is "art" stuff that I create with and OK I may have three exact items exactly the same because I loved it three times over and forgot I bought it? Well, maybe not all of us because I know a few of you out there are extremely organized. I read my Julie Girl talking about that at times in her FaceBook posts.


Well I am going to assume by the title of this post, you now have figured out what I have done all day long. First of all, I want you to remember that I have done my "office" work in some way or another for 23 straight days.


The meeting is over! It was successful due to many staffers working hard and long hours on site, and yes, Harley and Rat assisted, also,


So I took a day off only to begin cleaning the craft room/studio/guest bedroom. Oh my, oh my, I have been lost in Wonderland, if you can call it that. But several small areas are done which is a start. I sometimes will self-sabotage myself by thinking if I can't do it all, then I can't start on it because I will never ever get it done and then I sit on my fat butt. So there, I admitted it. *sniff*  *sniff* but I am now back with you in the fold, my blogger buddies, yes I AM. You know, I should have taken "before" photos but you would have called Hoarders for me, yes you would..... The beginning,


Elizabeth, Altered Book Lover, inspired me several years ago and is still an inspiration on space organization. I take a lot of photos, yes she suggested this, since I can then remember where I moved something to because by habit I will go to the old place and stare in disbelief because said item is not there.


I moved this white shelf  from the window to sit on top of my  "work bench" - I bought this monster "work desk" from Lowes one Christmas and it took forever to put together - but has been worth the angst.


Moved these items from another area where I moved my Clip It Up whirly twirly (it takes a lot of space but really is worth it),


It is amazing as you start one area and move stuff - it slowly comes together. All my little Martha's all in a row....

And in the upper right hand corner, my Claudine-paper-scrap-wreath which is one of my inspirations,

Sewing Diva,

 

and Martha Diva,

and me Diva,


and as the day comes to a close, and another Hoarder selects not to bring home another item until there is a place, I will remain lost in the craft room crawling around trying to find the trashcan which is now buried under so much garbage which I have decided to part with. Promise to see you tomorrow my little peeps. I need to take some trash out! Hugs and remember I AM BACK!

14 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

Glad you are back Marilyn and I hope you can remember where you moved everything. I move things and then spend way too long looking for them!!

theresa martin said...

I was a little worried about you coming by and seeing my studio space next week, but now I see we are kindred spirits :)

sbmama said...

LOL. Aren't we all just creative collectors? I will be moving my studio from the main floor to the basement in a couple of months so I'm also going through my "stuff" so I won't have to make so many trips up and down the stairs. I had all of my 'found objects' laying all over the floor where I could sort and catagorize (the floor being the biggest flat area of the house.) But I got distracted and had to leave it overnight. My husband thought I had dumped out the trash looking for something I had lost. He just doesn't understand how rusty keys and plastic doohickies can become arms and legs. Or how the mesh from a turkey breast is really the background for a shrine. He actually thought I should throw away a broken earing! GASP!! I was sucessful at filling up a trash bag, though, and taking a few boxes to consignment. Next week I drop off at the book store and a charitable yard sale to raise money for a dag park. Purging feels great! I was going to take photos but my camera batteries died. Hope to do some creating this weekend!

Uniquely Ella said...

Welcome back Marily, thanks for your sweet coment on my blog. Your creative space looks great!! I'll have to agree with "sbmama" we are creative collectors, I love it.
xxx
Marlene

Terri said...

Yay! Marlynn is back!!!!
I missed you....

Well, we are truly alike, I have been cleaning my art room too (OH and my closet, which was disgusting...not Hoarders disgusting, but still....)
It seems that I clean and sort and throw away, and yet there is still so much stuff! After watching several episodes of Hoarders on Netflix my hubby and I cleaned out the basement...all 1800 sq ft of it and tomorrow we are having a yard sale...whew! It is going to feel so good when the day is done.

So, congratulations on being back, and having a clean art room!
Hugs,
Terri

Marlynn said...

Dear "sbmama" you had me ROFL. Love your story about sorting and catagorizing on the floor, I thought you were going to say your husband threw it all out thinking it was trash. My daddy did that to me many moons ago when I had all my paper dolls spread across the living floor and went out to play. Did not have your email but HAD to respond to your post and still LOL. PS, my batteries died and that's my story - no before photos!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Actually, with all the boxes that are now sitting in my basement studio, I think the Hoarders team should come and visit me. What a mess I have, but you are getting yours under control. I'm SO IMPRESSED. And you are right about two things: once you get started, it becomes more manageable as it all comes together and once you move something, take a photo of it or you will look in the "old" place you had it.

Looks like you have a long weekend to get that room completely organized (grin).

~*~Patty S said...

Good for you plowing through some things...I seem to take one step forward three steps back when I try and organize...it does have me shaking my head at the amounts of STUFF around here
You've done great!
glad you're back ... missed you!
oxo

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Hello Marlynn
I love your creative space! I thought of you last night while watching several episodes of "Hoarders", although your place does not look like anything I saw! :) Hope you have a safe and Happy 4th!

Dianne said...

oh, if you and Elizabeth got together, you could really get us all organized! inspiring photos of your space and really should make me ready to sort...but...I'll probably get distracted. glad your meetings went well and you can enjoy the rest of your summer!

Sherry said...

buying 3 of something...oh yes. Been there!! You're productivity is inspiring. The whole I can't do this but I need to do this and where will I start and then how will I find anything is so true of me as well.

Dorthe said...

Marlynn, so good you are back- I missed a few posts here, don`t know why.....but here I am enjoying your room, and all your collections :) glad you did not see mine- they are huge and everywhere in my studio- If anyone have to organize ,it is me !
I wish you a wonderful week- this one- from today 4 of july, and hope you are having a great day.
Hugs, Dorthe

Lovey said...

Love, love, love your Sewing Diva!!!! You make me smile...I was too afraid to take a picture of my space before I cleaned it up! It was ROUGH!! Smiles....So much nicer now! You and Me,,,and Hoarders TV! Hee Hee..xoxo

Miss Kitty said...

Greetings dear Marlynn,

Oh boy this is a subject in which we have strong opinions on both sides of the fence.

I bring things home that is being questioned, like a wet large piece of cardboard with beautiful texture, but when it was dried and laid out, the piece ended up becoming a painting and those who have seen it, mostly have fallen in love with it.

Yet as I become older I have been thinking about the burden I would place upon my children when I am no longer around and so slowly have begun to think about what as true value and that, that which can be given away or thrown away.

Warmest regards,
Miss Kitty and Egmont