Sunday, August 8, 2010

Alice -- A Cautionary Tale

This is a continuing series in my posts called: Thanks but No Thanks. These are projects I have submitted to Stampington/Somerset Studios that were not selected for publication. Yes, I usually include postage to have the art work returned. They had Alice for quite a long time but in the end she was not selected and you know it when you read the first sentence:

"Dear Artist:
Thank you for submitting your artwork to Somerset Studio! I appreciate your creative efforts and taking the time to share your work with us. Unfortunately, we were unable to fit this particular submission into our editorial schedule. I am returning it to you with many thanks for your hard work. . . ."


I encourage everyone to submit your art work for publication - rejects are no big deal - well, OK, the very first one is but after that one, it doesn't hurt anymore! LOL. I love Alice and was surprised she was not selected. In the past I have submitted Marie Antoinette art three different times and, each time, she has been selected for publication in etiher Somerset Studio or Gallery. So I think I have a new goal here which will be to get little sickie Alice published.....


Well, I have the art work and I have the instructions which I will now share with you all. Alice was a call for submissions on the Wonderland theme. I felt that throughout the ages Alice has been portrayed in many lights. Who knows what Lewis was thinking when he wrote the tale. What the fuzz, who knows what he was thinking when he took incredible photographs of children. All one can say is he was a most enduring and perplexing man.


The small booklet celebrating Alice and her wayward ways (my take on her bizarre journey) was made from a daisyd's File Folder Keeper. I loved the keeper for the "tabs" on the right hand side. I selected to go through the story with: "Field Notes," "Censored," "Evidence," and "Passion." The clipart used in the book is from Stampington and is TJ Designs "Alice in Wonderland Collage Pack." The cover of the file folder keeper was covered with the TJ Design paper. Tear an image of Alice into three pieces, distress, and put back together in a cramped manner.


Attach a rusty ring to her face. Attach metal letters spelling her name. Punch Typewriter doo-dads" and attach, highlight with Glossy Accents. Add a rusty nail and a transparency "journal" with rusty frame and B A M - you got the cover, boys and girls.

Yes, you will see the rest of the book this week while I work on organzing. I have to add my thanks to dear Elizabeth over at the Altered Book Lover. She doesn't know it but she is my Organzing Coach - and yes, Elizabeth I'm listening: like things with like things......


my mantra... like things with like thinges.....



4 comments:

Terri said...

I am shocked that your "Alice" did not get published! It is really fab.
I have only submitted once, a year and a half ago, a large submission, and sent return postage, but never heard anything. And never received it back. Boo Hoo...

Anyways, look at all your wonderful stamps...and well organized too! You go girl!
Hugs,
Terri

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have never submitted anything to any magazine. I guess it's because my list would read something like "focal image found in dumpster on 4th street," or "rusty bob found on walk in neighborhood." Gotta love that you try, though, and that's what's important.

Glad you are in organizing mode. And like items together makes so much sense, as long as you remember where you put them. It's GREAT that you took a photo of some of your stamps, too. Keep taking pictures of your organized parts, and you can refer back to them if you forget where you put them (grin). I'm here, if you need more advice! Thanks for your sweet words, too.

~*~Patty S said...

well obviously there is no accounting for good taste!

your Alice book is super ... you always have a fun and unique twist to your creations ... their loss!

I have some stamps hanging on the wall in wooden silverware trays and Love the way they look ... yours display is Super and inviting ... YES like things with like things is a brilliant mantra

Happy Monday to ya!
oxo

Four Seasons in a Life said...

Greetings dear Marlynn,

I see Bleubeard and Elizabeth beat me once again.

Rejection letters should never be taken personal! It is hard to do especially when one has invested so much time.

The item you used to store your stamps in, was that a typographers type holder? It sure looks like it.

Wishing you all the best,
Egmont