Monday, September 21, 2009

Waxing Wanly in the Breeze

... or is that waneing waxing away as I sit here... Nope, not the brows, the lips, or the legs..... This waxing is with either beeswax or encaustic wax. This post is a result of some email exchanges today with my buddy blogger over at Magpie's Nest. Patty is doing some wonderful work with beeswax. Check out her post on September 19th, Threads of Wisdom..... I mentioned to her that I love the "color" wax and have so much fun playing with it. Figure of french girl was "colored" with the encaustic waxes. I used the "clear" wax on her face with a touch (and literally a touch) of pink wax on her cheek.

You see, Patty and I took a class together several years ago with a great gal named Darlene using beeswax. This was my first class using wax. I had dabbled prior to that time but never developed a love for it. At class I liked it... had fun... and created a work of art. WOW.... beeswax ain't bad. THEN, enter my friend, Beth who has given me great guidance with encaustic wax. She is such a talented artist with color wax. At that point I was hooked.

I told Patty today that she and I should make a date to play with the stuff, yes the color stuff. And so, this post is for Patty -- and hey, all of you can read it tooooo..... Patty, one reason I love color wax is it can be a challenge BUT so much fun to color with... The image below is from Paper Artsy called Architecture-Plate 4. I created a calendar in 2007 and highlighted a number of stamped images using encaustic wax. Just note that her lips and cheecks were colored with a pencil prior to using the wax.


I have my very own cute little green Encaustic Art Painting Iron which I use instead of the small clover iron. Either will work -- it is just that Beth got me started using that cute green one. This stamp from Stampington and Company and was used on this December calendar page because I also used it on my Christmas cards in 2007. Encaustic wax was used on all elements of this stamp.



Also used it on the lamp post and used beeswax on the "song" lyrics:

So, Patty, let's make a date in the future and play somewhere like Angela's Happy Stamper. I will bring my iron and waxes, you bring your iron and waxes and we will have at it! Just have your people contact my people and it will be a date.......



3 comments:

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

You certainly know how to put a smile on someone's face M!!!
Your wax creations looks so delicate and lovely! ... sweet pink rosey cheeks!
The swan stamp is a fav of mine (I have a 'thing' for swans ;)
We DID have a great time in Darlene's class didn't we! I Love the tin I created and my canvas too! I am enjoying stamping in the wax and adding paints, but certainly would like to know some of your and Beth's tricks :)
People on your card list are lvery ucky to get one of your special cards! I've not seen wax used so delicately!
Thank for the mention, so sweet of you, you Honeysuckle Lady you!
have your girl call my girl LOL!
oxo

Terri said...

Your "wax" art is delightful!
I love using wax too. It smells so good and lends such a depth to a piece.

darlene said...

WOW - Love the art that you created with encaustic wax. Very delicate and pretty images.

I never tried encaustic wax but you had to go ahead and mention it - and now I think it's something I need to do.

Thanks for the Marie book idea. I will have to check it out.