Sunday, September 6, 2009

Crusades in the Breeze


Over at the Street Team Crusades, Michelle Ward has posted Crusade # 33 for the month of September. Many of us know and believe that there are no coincidences in life. Things happen for a reason, so how fortuitous is it that Michelle's crusade has to do with feeding your brain and trying something new..... (This is quirky - I say there are no coincidences and then use the word fortuitous, meaning "by chance," yes, girls and boys it is Sunday morning in the honeysuckles and I have probably breathed in too much of their scent and am running in circles....)


Here is a quote from Michelle's challenge: "This month's challenge is to feed your brain - in or out of the studio. Tell us on your blog what you have learned recently, what you plan to learn, or what you are currently learning. It does not have to relate to art. It can be anything. Tried a new recipe? Learned to knit? Took a yoga class? Refinished a piece of furniture or built a birdhouse? Joined a book club or learned ballroom dancing? Tell us."


Well, as many of my readers know, I was on a staycation for two weeks in August. I ended up trying something totally new -- creating business cards for two friends of mine. I have not worked with photoshop that much. I have been in awe of those who do, especially Michelle. So with a little trial and error using special effects I created my first one. This sample does NOT include logo and message since that file is too large to include in this blog but you can see how I photoshopped it with the "glowing edges." I am lovin' the glow... The cards came out nice. I like them and felt good and so did James.


Then, his business partner wanted some but did not like the photos my brother took several years back when she had "weight" on her.... So, I had to borrow a more sophisticated camera from a friend and we went out on a glorious day and took photos (a far cry from my little digital camera).


The one Mary and I really wanted to use did not work and so we went with this stylized one. I am still trying to work on the "glowing edge" one we love and will figure it out one of these days and we will get it printed somewhere




I feel good I ventured out of my comfort zone and worked on these business cards. Yes, I stressed on these. Yes, I was so pleased I tried them. I remember when they approached me on this proposition, I cringed. Will I do any more? I don't know. But I am pleased with the results and happy I tried it. I do plan on working in photoshop more and may even take a class on it! New camera? Not in the cards just yet. Thank y0u, Michelle, for letting me put these thoughts down and looking back on this experience in this way! See you soon in October!



14 comments:

Julie Prichard said...

Raise your hand if you put off learning photoshop before... HERE :)

Great new thing to learn..the glowing edge looks great..and learning a new camera too? Awesome!

xoxo

Megan Warren said...

Great business cards - wish I had the time to spend on playing with Photoshop.

PocketSize said...

Photoshop totally intimidates me. Good on you for diving in! Fun images, really cool :)

maz said...

Great work! PS is intimidating but you did right to dive in:)

Terri said...

Wonderful Marlynn! It is so satisfying to learn new things and to jump in without knowing how it will end.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, these are awesome. I love the glowing edges; there's a real liveliness to it. Good work!

Aimeslee Winans said...

I think you can take a zillion classes and it still cannot substitute for that good ole trial and error with graphic editing. Yes, I imagine it was stressful but you did well! Just always remeber to make a copy and experiment on that. Myself, I need to video myself doing it so I'll be able to remember what I did, LOLOL, but that's just me. :-)))

Rosie said...

I love that glowing edges effect - bravo! I try and work digitally once a month at least, but it's so time-consuming, so good for you that you had some success. Thanks for sharing! =)

michelle ward said...

Marlynn - as Aimeslee said, trial and error is the best teacher of photoshop. High five for opening it up and taking some steps toward refining that skill. Cool that you used photos - PS was made for exactly that. Great job and thanks for sharing :) See you soon!

jgr said...

Beautiful results! Yes, I agree with the others: PS is NOT for sissies LOL! Congrats on trying something new!

Belinda said...

photoshop is fun, but you need time to figure it out. am too lazy, only do simple things.
great trials, really love the lowes black one. thanks for sharing.

Darlene said...

I love what you achieved with Photoshop. Ijust upgraded to PSE7 (from PSE3). I'm learning too. It's challenging but fun.

Regina said...

Looks like you are off to a great start with PS Elements. I have found that having a specific project gets me to work through the inevitable frustrations along the way.
By the way, I am learning to use Elements in new ways to help me with my artwork.

Mescrap said...

I wish to have more time to learn on photoshop.