Saturday, September 5, 2009

Madame Galoche in the Honeysuckles


Yes, it is time to preview Edward Gorey's Miss September. This month we have Madame Galoche. Now, you ask, what could dear Galoche do? Well, think soup kitchen, potage puree Crecy (carrot soup) and a little dash of insecticide.


Just a little goes a long way. The dear indigents didn't have a chance in May, 1911. OK, the year:

1911...... 1) a meteorite hits earth near Wisconsin; 2) Mona Lisa is stolen from the Louvre by an employee and recovered the next day; 3) Chevy official enters the auto world; 4) IBM is incorporated; 5) The first Indy 500 is run in Indy; 6) the first official flight with airmail takes place; 7) a revolution in Mexico breaks out; and 8) 146 garment workers are burned to death in NYC at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory (this has been a scene for ghost hunters for a number of years). OK back to the Madame...such a charmer, hair to dye for, attitude to match.... gives new meaning to "head chef" in the kitchen.



Madam Galoche doesn't have a clue what is going on in the world. Well, she does in her world and she obviously doesn't like the individuals who show up in her soup kitchen. Well, do tell, she could have just spit in the soup to get even -- she didn't need to go and kill them. Maybe she had PMS or heat surges or she just got up on the wrong side of the bed. Whatever, she ended up giving potage puree Crecy aux perles a bad rapt. Ask me when the last time I ate carrot soup..... NEVER. Proves my point!



Next time you order soup -- remember Madame Galoche and steer clear of the potage..... A word to the wise.

3 comments:

Terry said...

Howdy Marlynn
Oh this is fabulous ,I could read it over and over again .
Madame Galoche has stolen my heart
ah yes she is wiley indeed :)
I know I should resist her,I must turn and run ,
but I like Lot's wife feel compelled ,no driven to return to Madame Galoche .
Madame Galoche you are to die for :)
Thank you for this fun and fabulous post .
Awesome art !!!!
Have a marvelous weeknd.
Hugs
Happy Trails

Lindart said...

As usual Marylynn, I love these altered calendars! You have such a great imagination and sense of humor! I can tell you look forward to each month, I know I do!

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

oh my and potage weather is upon us :) Great fun and wonderful creation M!!!

BTW happy to help you shop anytime ;)

Happy Weekend to ya!