Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Neglected Murderess -- April Fool's Day


If it is April 1, it is time for the new entry creation in the Edward Gorey Calendar. I love my calendar which you already know. Hold on - here comes a sales pitch: And don't forget that you can purchase the Neglected Murderess Note Cards from Gorey Designs which is a fun site.

Our Neglected Murderess this month is -- ta da -- NO, not Miss April, really. OK let's start over, this month -- is Mrs. Fledaway (I'm calling her Mrs. F) who laced her husband's tea with atropine in the spring of 1903 at the Locusts, near Puddingbasin, Mortshire, England. How charming! Death by Tea - sounds more like Agatha than Edward.

OK, I am going to digress here. Found an interesting blog entry entitled, "The Gory Details of Edward Gorey," -- well worth the visit for a quick bio on Edward. I also loved the comments under the post.



Back to my calendar entry: Atropine = poison and can be found in your garden in such plants as the deadly nightshade, jimsonweed (devil's trumpet), mandrake, and other plants. When ingested it can cause heart problems, loss of balance, and extreme confusion. Hmmmm, I know some people like this who walk around in my world.


Love this quote, "A common mnemonic used to describe the manifestation of an overdose is: hot as a hare, blind as a bat, dry as a bone, red as a beet, and mad as a hatter." Sounds like every day in Honeysuckle Breeze and not a bad state to be in.... also read where some sickies use it with other hallucinatory drugs. Sound like my friends from the 70s. OH MY - this is getting way too personal.



Fell in love with the woman in the "corner" with her hands up. Found that on the Where Women Create web site under "inspire." You can download these images and some are pretty cool. I was getting ready to cut them out of the WWC latest publication when I read the fine print. WOW - I am like so dangerous with my scissors -- and so was Mrs F when cutting the weeds and flowers for a special brew in a special hubby's tea cup.




Here are a few details in creating Mrs. F in this calendar. I have discovered that it is easier using a variety of TomBo and Stampin' Up markers to add color since the background is very slick. Markers are great. After painting, I went on the search for a Twinning tea bag and got the sewing machine out, then added the poison label, and then the gal -- yes, it could be Mrs. F, yes it could be, well after her husband's demise, that is! Added the usual chipboard letters and then the ribbon.



So here she is in all her glory hanging in my bathroom.



Now, I would like to thank several people for giving me this creative opportunity: First of all, Donna Kauffman, romance author extraordinaire, (for creating an incredible calendar workshop at Angela's - but alas I was gone the times she presented it, she was the beginning of the inspiration); Secondly, I would like to thank my Le Petit Poucet who gave me the Edward Gorey Calendar for Xmas; and Thirdly, but certainly not last, to my Korie - who has always encouraged me to spread my creative wings and is partly responsible for my creating this blog!!! I would also like to thank the Academy ---- OK, I must have sipped some atropine! Good night, sweet prince and princesses, and witches..... good night! You rock -- Mrs. F!

3 comments:

Boutade said...

Ooh, my word verification was "retantra", totally wicked!

Oh Honeysuckle, this is so beautiful. Scissors and planty-plants. Love the links, and the rhyme. I'll be reciting "hot as a hare" all day to myself now. You did your homework on this one.

Wonderful, witty, and well done! Ooh, I made a cooking reference on that last one! Hee. You are such an influence!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

You have quite an imagination M = Love it! Great links and eye candy! muy mysteriosa :)

Mescrap said...

You are so creative to bring the story out.
Beautiful calendar!