Sunday, April 26, 2009

Loveliness in Honeysuckle Breeze


The PaperWhimsy Quotes Challenge showed up last Sunday and it has taken me all week to think on it. First of all it is a "pink" theme which is beautiful. The Hilda Conkling poem short:


Loveliness that dies when I forget

Comes alive when I remember.


Once again, you had to use several items in your collage: 1) a word or phrase from the poem; 2) a flower; 3) a butterfly; 4) a trim; 5) a 3-D element; and 6) one other PaperWhimsy image. Please note (you will know why I am pointing this out) that the 3-D element must "be something that you consider to be particularly lovely."

The one theme that was haunting me was "remember." I had a PW image of two young boys who looked like they were in WWI uniforms (it was probably boy scouts) but once I focused on WWI, I knew where I was going with this them. It was a little out-of-the-box. WWI and pink don't necessarily mesh. I printed off a photo of my Grandfather in his WWI uniform and the rest, like they say is history.


You will notice my 3-D element -- yes it is a rusty safety pin. I found it a number of months ago on the ground by the trash container in our parking lot. I love the rusty feel and look of this pin and in my mind it is very very lovely. I also found a long lost eyelet with the word "father" on it to continue the theme.


I printed my Grandfather's photo out several times and finally decided to use the vellum photo. To me it gave an eerily look to the piece. The poem page took no time and I wanted to keep it simple so the eye will go to the collage piece when finally laid out in a book form. Need to get these loaded onto the PW site and then go cook dinner. Have a good week!



3 comments:

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

OH I Love this M! That rusty safety pin is such a treasure too. Really lovely. I have gotten so far behind on the quotes, not to mention so many things in life! My garden is screaming for attention....can you believe July heat in April!!!

peggy gatto said...

So sweet!

sandee said...

Just beautiful!!!