Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Day with Claudine Hellmuth


What fun I had today taking a "Collage Discovery Workshop" with Claudine. I had so much fun and it was great to be able to work on techniques featured in her book, Collage Discovery. It was an easy kind-of-going day and we all worked at our own pace. We played with peeling paper and peeling paint! I loved the peeling paint when I finally got the hang of the petroleum jelly. I put a little bit too much on the first time. Do tell! Who me?

The first thing we did was to prepare our surfaces. We played with the different techniques and then used them to start our collaging. The transfer techniques were almost fool-proof - me the fool. I am like kind of transfer crippled but I managed to do a few in Claudine's class today. I like the one below since it also shows the peeled paint technique which finally worked. Background was layered with dress pattern tissue and some copied architect drawings. Then painted and then three items transferred using Claudine's Studio multi-medium matte gel. She is not done and is a work in progress.


Next I moved on to something unique for me .... "me" transferred onto copper.....now that was cool! And others thourght so too and oohh and ahhh. I managed to get a bit of the cooper that was left over from another class to experiment with and it was fun. I think I will mount it on a 4 x 4 canvas. . . and may use some big black tacks!



Thank you Claudine for a wonderful day. I am really tuckered out but not from class -- probably from an hour and a half of cardio tennis Friday night. Whewwww. My legs are killing me and tomorrow morning I play tennis at 9 am. Nope, it won't be warm like it was today - up to 78 degrees. Probably more like 55 degrees. Oh well, I will at least get some good practice in and some cardio! Will check back in with you tomorrow!



3 comments:

Lindart said...

Lucky you to have a class with Claudine! The transfers turned out well, and I've always liked that peeled paint technique. Now you can play some more!

claudine hellmuth said...

so great to see you on Saturday!!!! you are such a sweetie and thank you for my lovely gift!!

forcryeye said...

You are a lucky girl! I must know of these transfer techniques! Peeling paint? Sounds delightful! I managed to salvage my claudine gel mediums from the wreckage (they were in the basement)...thank goodness! :)