Monday, January 5, 2009

Old People Lips - Honeysucklers are Cookin'


First things first - yes I am back from San Antonio - last night flight late into Dulles. Do tell. The time in SanAn was fun. I love the Alamo, the Riverwalk, the people. Anyway, slept late today, nope did not go into the office, I say as I yawn.

Got out to the grocery store and image my surprise when I spotted this lovely vegetable (I think...). They call it the Chayote Squash and it caught my eye when I rounded a corner and headed to the onions. WOW. I love this baby. I checked it out on Google - nope, I didn't have a clue but bought it anyway.


This may be my year of experiencing and experimenting new foods. Anyway, they say it is a native Mexican plant "vegetable squash." Then it went on to say some American slang for the cute plant is "old People Lips."



Hmmmmm, when I took my photo all I could think of was "Little Shop of Horrors" and the song, "Feed Me" Seymour.... FEED ME. . (imagine bass tone..... ) FEED ME. Never crossed my mind about old people.....


First of order of business when I got home was to look up a recipe and looks good - olive oil, minced garlic, black pepper, onions, white sugar (?not sure on that) and (optional) red pepper flakes, red wine vinegar, salt. Basically you are cooking it in the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Will let you know how it comes out.



Next item that caught my eye in the store was the wonderful Nestle's box! Why am I focusing on Mexico - bet I know..... Love the old lady since we just discussed old people lips. I meant to check out in another aisle to see if the "American" boxes has this old gal on it but forgot as I wondered aimlessly in the store. Mind is mush! (I'm yawning again - tennis is going to be real interesting tonight!)


OK, now to Italy - found the Gia Russa box and HAD to buy her. Love the young lady. SO, squash, polenta, orzo.... hmm going to be an interesting year.

My friend Korie, in her blog We Will Always Have Paris, posted about "One little word" on January 1, 2009. She talks about taking a word and making it yours for the new year. Her word this year is "release" - "Releasing some of the stuff cluttering my tiny house."

OK, that would be a good goal for me and this small condo. But maybe not "release" - mine would be better served by the word "sharing" - I give you my stuff! OR, maybe it could be "experimenting" - with new foods, new recipes, new techniques. I seem to think if we grow old and do not have the initiative and imagination to try new things, go new places, be willing to get lost on our planned itinerary through life - we will grow old sadly.


SO, yup - my word will be "experimenting." I have been wanting to try some of the ideas I found in the Somerset in Love. It was a godsend on the flight home. Going to close but want to leave you with a few photos of San Antonio. Yes, I caught some guys! I will show you my visual journal soon.

Love this photo of the inside of the Menger Hotel! Is it cool or is it cool! Nope, didn't have time to look for ghosts - but I like swear my room at the Grand Hyatt had an active alternative reality universe going on. Not only the bathroom light kept coming on (OK there was a motion sensor drove me up the wall in the middle of the night when you stumble into the john and the light comes on - excuse me...). ANYWAY - I knew there was someone else living in my room when I used my room key, walked in - yes, the lucky light came on - and what do I spy:

I prove my point - is this not an alternate universe or not? Forget the ghosts - I don't believe they leave the seat up. Who do you call? Stephen King or the front desk?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, I don't know which is creepier: the squash or the toilet seat being up.

Mmmmm..... Abuelita hot chocolate. I grew up in the southwest where Abuelita is a household staple (kind of like Cholula hot sauce). I think I have some downstairs in the pantry. I think I might go make some today....