Sunday, January 11, 2009

Image Transfer Challenged

Yes, I admit defeat today. I hang my head in shame. I cannot for the life of me get a good image (black & white) transferred onto fabric. The one image I thought I really messed up at my Korie workshop this summer (Summer in Paris) was really good compared to my experiments today.

Keep this in mind -- here is the image I transferred this summer:


First things first -- I finished the last two page layout in my fabric book. Yes, I can do that and am not "challenged."


I even got so carried away as to iron the lace before putting down on the material. Oh my!





I used two photos printed on canvas: one is of mother's confirmation class, and the second is of her photo as a student studying to be an RN. That is one of my all time favorite photos of her. I think I told you that back in the 40s the nursing students could not be married and so she had to drop out to marry dad once he came back from WWII.

Back to my failure today. I gathered all the materials and Korie's instructions along with instructions in another book I have. How could I go wrong?


I spread the gel medium matte onto the cloth. I applied the photos and the finished products were nightmares.



I am saving them and have to idea how I will use them. However, if my dear grandmother, Momo, saw this transfer of her looking like she had one big hairy liver spot on her face and neck, she would haunt me forever and forever, I have no doubt about it. That one will go in the trash. Ain't taking any chances. I prefer to watch my ghost hunting on TV. So, I think the first one I did I either had too much matte medium in spots and not enough in others and then I put it under the water because the paper was staying on and gluing down.


Oh well, that has been my Sunday so far sandwiched in between grocery shopping and lunch. I think I will now move on to work on the cover of my fabric book. I finally found my packing tape which in Korie's instruction I have to "cover the spin" with our books closed. When we started we cut the spine of the board books so it would allow our creativity in between the covers! *wink* Wonder if it has anything to do with the movie playing on Sci-Fi in the background, Mulberry Street, a wonderful little ditty about mutant rats turning humans into rat-like looking zombies and biting people who then turn into human zombies. Oh well, NYC gets it again.

Back to work..... Gel-medium transfers give me the hives. hiss, boo, hiss, hiss.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember how I mentioned in class that I had brought my scanner/printer with me because I knew that the thick gel medium I used worked with the ink from my printer?? You may need to work with a different gel medium (IMHO, the thicker, the better) that will work with the ink from your printer.

What kind of printer are you using??

Anonymous said...

Also, make sure you give yourself plenty of wiggle room when applying that packing tape. You'll cover it with fabric later, so don't worry how ugly it looks.

Close your book and then apply the tape.

Marlynn said...

Korie - I used Claudine Hellmuth's multi-medium gel. I also have Golden Regular Gel Matte and Liquitex Matte Meduium. I am using the photos you printed from your scanner. I haven't tried to do any copies on my printer yet....My printer is a Epson but like I said I using the ones you printed this summer. I did give myself plenty of wiggle when using the packing tape. That part I did right.

Anonymous said...

The general rule is that Epson is a no-no when it comes to gel transfers. They have a different formula for their ink. Of course, there are still people who claim that their Epson works for them.

I'm pretty sure that we used Liquitex in class. Call me if you're struggling.