Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Waxing and Waning

As I was reading Claudine Hellmuth's website today I noticed that she had information on a workshop she is preparing to do in Raleigh, North Carolina, called "Waxing Poetic" -- I love her collage book where she discusses waxing. She talks about creating collage entirely with beeswax. I was first introduced to waxing (art works not my brows and lips - which yes need to be done) by a friend of mine, Beth. She showed me the joys of encaustic wax. I love that stuff. I love using it on my Christmas cards. It gives such a wonderful look - whew, be still my heart. I then read Claudine's book and I was off and running with beeswax. I love a mess. I can create a mess without even trying. It is a lost art form and talent. I took a class at Angela's Happy Stamper with an instructor who had taken Claudine's class. We were asked to bring items we would like to create a work of art OR she would provide some for us.

You will soon learn that one of my favorite family photos is that of my Aunt Mary and mother when they were young -- Mother was two and Aunt Mary was four or five. I decided to use that and created the art work on the right which I titled "Sewful." It was so easy and fast that I then went home and created two more similar creations for Aunt Mary and my brother, Jim. As they say - There are no mistakes in art - just creative opportunities to fix stuff. I know this too well. You will notice the stars on Mother's head - yes, I admit it - I melted the top of her head off on the photo. That is a pretty big oops but she understood when I gave her a crown of stars. I'm sure she was giggling from Heaven - yes I could hear her whispering in my ear. I do have to say there are mistakes and goofs that can't be fixed in some of my art work. I have a sample hanging where I can see it - a pitiful Xmas ornament I made at Recollections one year. Wet Stickles and paint are really fun to transport home when not using care or when not dry. Do tell, Sherlock!


Tomorrow I have one of my two torture sessions with my trainer James Phifer and then, if not raining, we will do 1 1/2 hour tennis clinic. After the 1/2 hour with James then the clinic, I am tuckered out and bushed for the night and will be so ready to watch America's Next Top Model, Project Runway, and Top Design (which will be DVRed since I will have fallen asleep by the middle of it).


In closing I am going to post one more photo of the House book I worked on this weekend. Will try to post again soon. I do like the ClubStamp stamp called "This is My Story." I don't have it in my collection of stamps.

I have always loved the "Go to Jail" card from Monolopy. As you can see my brother, Jim, and I started dressing up for Halloween many many years ago. Yes, always a clown! The magic has never gone away for me. It is one of my most favorite holidays! I would encourage all of you to someday do a "This is My Story" booklet. It is fun going through old photos and deciding which to use and then with many left over deciding if you want to do another booklet!

3 comments:

Annette said...

Marlynn, I am enjoying seeing what you do. I wish sometimes that I could be that creative, and then I think of what I do... Just built a bed and a set of bedside tables. Hmmm. LOL, Annette

~*~Patty S said...

Thank you for stopping by my Mapgie's Nest :) Is it possible we took Darlene Spencer's wax class together at Happy Stamper back in Feb??? Love this piece SO much! The name of your blog is wonderful too!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

OK, it's really fun to visit again ... some time later ... Love seeing your creativity ... you have me thinking about a "This is my Story"
book too ... hmmm :)
It's lovely getting to know you dear M!
oxo