Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The India Reveal in the Breeze

Yes, Patty received my package today with the India pages enclosed along with an assortment of tea, a portion of a sari found in the trash, and some swan (she has an addition to them) stuff from Boston. In our "6 x 6" (my title, kind of) round robin I needed, as my first project and the very first time I have ever done anything like this, to create pages using an India theme, finished size 5 x 9.

On the front cover I used a Dover Clip Art Travel Ad for India, added some jewels. I also used the stencil/masking technique I have learned in my last two Michelle Ward's workshops. On the second page I ended up using the ATC I created for the "sign-in tag" when I found some burlap. I was at a loss on this page, literally at a loss! (I fell in love with burlap in the 60s)......

I added the ribbon strip (left over from another project) with the beads and used tacky glue to make it look like it was swaying while the elephant walked. Once again, the image is from Dover Press Clip Art book. The third page was the first page I designed and the one that all others had to flow from:

The Taj Mahal images were, believe it or not, file folders which I cut up. I took two folders and layered the images, cut out a window and dropped in an India image found Google. She added just the right amount of color to the white landscape. I have had these file folders for almost two years and didn't have a clue how to use them since I am not into India. The other file folders in the package were of Paris and London.... oh yes, I added some "jewels" -

The last page was the page you saw the other day when I literally just started playing..... with paint, stencil mask, and some metal. However, you didn't see the finished page since I couldn't show you...

The "metal" tree limbs were found in New York City at a stamp store, Ink Pad. I have held on to them for over a year!


I debated about putting my Tim Holtz letters to spell out, "The Jewel of the . . " but I felt the page had enough and for once I controlled myself and did not add "more." Hope you enjoyed this reveal. I do need to run to fix dinner. Next R & R -- Mexico???? OMG from India to Mexico. I feel a s - t - r - e - t - c - h coming on! Hugs to all.

8 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

Wonderful book! The Taj Mahal is fabulous!!

Terri said...

Oh I am so thrilled to see it finally! I love the way you painted and masked the background. It really gives it depth. I also love the way you layered your elements. And the little swag of beads on the elephant is genius! You must have had tons of fun making this one.
Hugs,
Terri
Planning your next trip?
I leave on Friday for England....
Wooohooooo!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

These pages are stunning. I think you are the first to reveal what you did. I'm glad patty liked them. I know you spent a lot of time looking for that newspaper that you never got! Now Mexico should be easier this month, since Day of the Dead is so popular right now.

Diane said...

All of it--wonderful. India would be tough for me too, and so would Mexico for that matter---I can't wait to see what you come up with.

~*~Patty S said...

and what a marvelous reveal it is!
I may have to send everyone your way since your photos are excellent and I just accidentally (mind still in CA I guess) deleted a whole big batch of photos ACK!!!
Of course I AM lucky enough to have the real deal here with me to enjoy again and again ... Love how even something from NY went into to.
The pages are so rich looking and feeling OK I am repeating myself from earlier.
I hope to be that lady peeking out of the Taj Mahal one day ...dreaming here with her bindhi twinkling on her forehead - great details OK, I've said that before too!
The Indian Spice tea is scrumptious, this rainy day is perfect for a cuppa!
thank you so very much
can't wait for Dianne to receive my Frida pages and see everyone else's creations ... TREES are next for me.
oxo

Dianne said...

wow! great job...love the image peeking through! this will be an outstanding book...

sharon said...

Very gorgeous work! Very inspiring!

Lovey said...

I LOVE IT MARLYNN!!