Sunday, October 31, 2010

Honeysuckles are celebrating Dia de los Muertos

Dia de los Muertos is celebrated between October 31 and November 2nd. A celebration of those who have gone before with us with feasts and laughter and at times in the grave yards. When you think about it, not a bad idea.

Oh, Mexico, you are so right with this celebration. Okay, my little honeysuckle peeps, yes I am trying to get inspired to create some Mexican art for a swap I am participating in.... remember India.... this month we travel to Mexico.

I visited Mexico at a very young age - around 8 years old. We went through Brownsville, TX, and went into the country and I fell in love with it. My parents honeymooned in Mexico in the late 40s after my dad came home from the war. So, yes, there have always been warm and fuzzy thoughts about this marvelous country. Well, kind of... OK, I also love San Antonio and the Alamo and didn't like the Mexicans trying to kill my boys! Even bought my first coonskin cap and sang Davy, Davy Crockett outside the Alamo and stuck my fingers in the bullet holes.... as I sang.

Today, I started to get serious about my creation. Nope, I still don't have a clue on what I am going to create - this is the time to absorb stuff to creep into my creative juices getting ready to flow through my creative process. I hope it pops out soon. I took photos while shopping today:

Bought some food products to see if I want to use the packaging - don't know yet, but it will be on hand when my muse wakes up.....


I do promise not to be wasteful and will cross my heart that I will try to use these products. cross, cross. Also found some recipe books after eating at my fav eatery - Taco Bell (have to keep with the program here), amigos,

and already had skeletons cut out from my September workshop, (I do love my blue painted watercolor paper but not sure blue will work with Mexico, we will see),


Bought some fake skeletons to cut up if I decide to,


Here is an example on how they might work cut up:
CSI would love the remains:

To use a Michelle Ward saying, "I crack myself up!" Yes, it is that time of the night when I tell you I need to run and cook dinner. BUT, tonight in about 1 hour my buds, Ghost Hunters, have a live marathon on SyFy! I love Halloween. And hugs to all,

5 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

You have lots of good supplies to work with!! This swap you are in sounds really fun--all different countries?

Debby said...

What a fun post and swap!!!
Happy Halloween my dear.
Debby

Diane said...

Hope you enjoyed Halloween last night with the Ghost Hunters--I was busy with my party ;)
And I'll be curious to see what you come up with for your swap--your starting out right with all of that colorful packaging to help inspire you.

~*~Patty S said...

Fun how your creative mind turns to FOOD! Love it and the skellies are very cool too...every/any color goes with Mexico ... don't you think ... I adore your blue paper too! Can't wait to see where this all leads you Ms Honeysuckle
oxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm kind of stuck on your theme, too. The first (and only) piece I created went well. Then it went downhill in the mojo and ideas range from there. Maybe Harley will help you. Bleubeard has been NO help to me, though. Of course, the food is always a good place to start. ERRR, packaging, I mean (grin).