Thursday, June 25, 2009

I'm back home in the Breeze


I missed you all terribly terribly.... I really did. Got back home Tuesday and it has taken these two days to get the energy to stay awake past 8:30 pm! Oh 'tis great to grow old! Yep, I worked from Tuesday to Tuesday. It was work but also fun. The educational association I work for had a golf tournament, a leadership meeting for 160 of our close friends, a board meeting (I had to cover), and academies for music education teachers. We did visits to Capitol Hill and a "sing" at the Lincoln Memorial early one morning. We stayed in Crystal City across the river from Washington, D.C. It was a busy busy week but a good one. Obviously I experimented taking my photo in the hotel room. YES, I really did work... that's my story and I'm sticking to it. It was so "cold" a week ago Wednesday the "pink" girls had to eventually put on jackets. Rainy and cold in June? WOW!



I did find time at night to do a few pages in my travel journal and will share a few of them with you here. The red tickets here are some of my raffle tickets I bought at the golf tournament and I won three prizes: 2 baseball tickets to see the Washington Nationals, 1 $80 meal at a restaurant at Tyson's Corner, 1 $25 gift certification to another restaurant..... I'm gonna eat well! I used the quote I received right before I left from my friends at Where Women Create and it goes, "The world is full of people who will go their Whole lives and not actually Live -- one day. She did not intend on being on of them."




I did add the "to ride" after I got home.... I love the Geico Gecko and their recent TV ads. I love the "intelligent" gecko and his hard work into the night burning the midnight oil. I found this print ad in the hotel and cut him out, added one of my tea bags and made a pocket out of it. We had a Sweet Adelines group perform at lunch and I found two of their "sequins" in the restroom that they used as a dressing room. It matched my gecko!



I really like these small signs in the hotel rooms about enjoying a "smoke-free" room. I really like the design of these trees and one night just started tearing the image out to overlay on the first sign. I wrote the hotel and the dates and a little joke to myself about watching "The Greatest Catch" - oh how I love that show and my Captain Guys!




We can't let today pass without remembering those who have passed away on Tuesday and today: Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson. I suppose the most shocking to me is Michael Jackson. It is even weirder that I looked at a friend of mine about 3:00pm today and said, "I wonder who the third one will be?" She said, "huh?" And I said, "We had Ed, Farrah, and now we wait for one more...." We talked tonight and she said, "I was telling my husband what you said today while we were eating dinner watching the news about Michael." May they all rest in peace. The one I identify the most with is Farrah - we were the same age and grew up in the same world. She was a true "fighter" that Texas girl. Yes, I did my chestnut hair the same as her long blond. Yes, I was in my own mind a Charlie's Angel! She was good. Her hard struggle is now over.


3 comments:

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

Welcome back M! Sounds like you had a blast, like a staycation almost!
What a newsy and yes sad post too. We've had plenty of bad news with the Metro train deaths also.
Have a great weekend recovering from your fun!
Oh, I too really enjoy the details that different hotels offer, always some inspiration to be had :)

Terry said...

Howdy
Well you have had quite a whirlwind week.
I'm so glad your back ,
As for the weeks events
I think I miss Ed the most.
I miss late night T.V. with Johnny and Ed .
Take care.
Happy Trails
Hugs

Terri said...

I enjoyed reading your post. Your travel journal is wonderful! Good for you that you express yourself no matter where you are.