Saturday, March 14, 2009

Chaos in the Breeze?


Here in Honeysuckle Breeze we are finally stepping out of chaos into order. OK, yes my nose is growing as I say this..... "Chaos" is the name of my crusade piece for Michelle Ward's GPP Crusade No. 29. She states, "Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to just mess around with paint and brushes." Mess around? Are you kidding, girlfriend, sounds good to me. Oh, OK, with paint and brushes, why not, girlfriend. OK, take a peek at my messin' around.....


After finishing two wonderful quote challenges within the last two weeks at PaperWhimsey, it was fun to pick up my journal I began creating at Michelle's workshop in Wisconsin last May. I took "The Painted Page" at Valley Ridge Art Studio because I was not into using acrylic paints that much for anything in my work (OK I painted chipboard letters) and hey, I admire this artist! Her workshop did not disappoint me. After two days of painting and playing, I returned home not only with fond memories but with pages that were "just started" using different techniques. I work in this journal off and on just to reconnect with Michelle's style -- which I love, especially, since it is not the medium I feel comfortable in. I stand in awe of her works and *bow* to her. You rock, girl.



I started with my "blank" canvas that had some distinctive brush strokes and began by layering with my paints I selected to "use" at the workshop. I have all of these acrylics together so the color scheme of the journal remains in tact....and, yes, these are colors I do not use all the time, maybe like never, unless working in this journal. Yes, it challenges me to step out of my comfort zone and good for my soul. After getting the gesso out and adding more strokes - love the gesso strokes, I was so proud of me or is that mii. (Too much Wii Tennis lately). The more I use "brush" strokes, the easier they come to me. However, this has not always been the case. It took some "trusting" the dry brush to get to this point.


Once the page looked the way I thought I wanted it tooooo (thank you, Michelle, for teaching me that one can always, always, gesso and paint over - there are no mistakes that can't be fixed with just a little white surface prep paint.) . And so I started layering and layering. Looking through my stash of stuff (my SOS) I came across a photo I took at the Alamo New Year's Day and printed it onto a transparency. I turned that baby over and gessoed it. Gesso Queen (who mii?) ... Truth be knownst I never really knew what to do with that white stuff. Yes, I did get carried away slathering it....

Turned that baby over and stuck to the page - wet gesso and all.



AS I kept working on this piece (background noise was the boys over on the Travel Channel chasing ghosts, oh my oh my they need help and I'm not sure if I'm talking about the ghosts or the boys) the "theme" of the page came to me -- Chaos. I pulled out some of my Michelle Ward stamps (Crow About) and started to work in earnest. I also remembered Michelle showing us how to paint our brush strokes onto acetate and turn over to apply to our painted page for some cool brush stroke effects. She also reminded us to use that piece in our art work. I used an ArtChix Angel (#T410Mystery) transparency atop the acetate. This portion of the page reminds me of the Phoenix rising ... out of the depths of whatever...



Okie dokie, boys and girls...... TA DA......here is the finished page -- the screaming in the background on Most Haunted definitely had an influence on this piece, besides me wanting to strangle two of the women (Kat and Leslie, you know it is so bad when you know their names without thinking - OK a rat ran by so eat it and shut-up). Better yet, give them Valium, please, or find someone else to haunt with. You know by now, my sympathies were going with the ghosts. No wonder they want their solitude in those gorgeous English manors.


It was fun searching the stash to find objects to mount on this page. Which means, this morning is devoted to some serious organizing. Thanks for stopping by to check out Crusade no. 29! Thank you, Michelle! I can't wait for your October workshop back at the farm.....

15 comments:

michelle ward said...

Marlynn - what a great narrative. It was fun listening to your process and seeing all the steps. Bravo for all the layers of brush effects and to be working with paint - something you seem comfortable with even though you say otherwise. Thanks for sharing with the team. I love that you even included the outside influence of the ghost chasers but I could have done without seeing myself *wink*

Regina said...

Wow! What a fun journey with you through the process of this page. I learned a few things along the way. You've created a page with a lot of depth and interest.
Thanks for visiting my blog, too, and for you encouraging comment.

Anonymous said...

Really GREAT, Marylnn!!

Anonymous said...

Yay - go you for leaping in and giving it a go. I like the finished result, but I also really liked some of the layers along the way.

jgr said...

These are beautiful! I agree with Cath: Finished result is nice, and those layers are each one a masterpiece on their own! Thanks for visiting my blog, too.

Rosie said...

That's one very cool page... you handle paint really well and I love the way it all came together in Chaos! I do envy you taking one of Michelle's workshops - how wonderful! =)

Judy said...

This is one neat piece so much to look at.

debi lynn mattingly said...

Beautiful Chaos! Amazing what can "inspire" us sometimes. :)

Thanks for sharing the great post and your talents. xo...deb

iHanna said...

How fun to take a real class from Michelle, I wish I could do that too! You have such inspiration in that journal!

Mescrap said...

Awesome canvas !!
Enjoy to look at the 'chaos' layers, the painting in layer by layer.
Beautiful.

Kim Mailhot said...

Wow Marlynn, this piece blows mii away ! I love that you shared all the messy details of how its great layers came about ! You have reined in chaos, I think !

Cheers, Crusader !

Anonymous said...

Marlynn,

what fun it must have been, making this page! Your storytelling is fantastic too. Thanks for your nice comment on my blog,

Regina Dwarkasing

Commuter's Journal said...

Ah, but there was method in your madness, I think! What fun to spend an afternoon with you and the ghosties as you sought chaos amid the order. And what great results! -- JeriAnn

Unknown said...

Great narrative, how LUCKY to have taken a class with Michelle!!!

Linda Vincent said...

What a fabulous piece of art Marlynn.....very, very inspiring. You make me want to rush off to Michelle's blog and get started!
Linda x