Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Journaling Visually?


I journal and have for many years. . . not everyday like I use to -- but enough to be able to put pen to paper and write thoughts about my days. I have a number of journaling books which are creative in their own right. I have one I made in a workshop a few years ago and take it to classes I go attend in order to keep notes, web sites, blog addresses, etc. I enjoyed taking it along to my workshop with Michelle Ward in Madison, WI. That workshop was called "The Painted Page."

You can see a page from it where I experimented with a number of print ads from several different magazines, paint, stamps, and rub-ons -- I titled it "Orleans" for whatever reason. I have another that I keep tract of everyday thoughts and the one I grabbed when I wrote a quick poem the other day for the Marie Antoinette envelope which ended up NOT being an envelop but another piece that I am submitting separately. See Sunday's post. Back to the topic at hand....... Visual Journaling. I have been reading about this for a year or so and have done nothing about it. But now I am.....Yup, here are my supplies all packed and ready to go into the suitcase later tonight.


I will still be running around looking for more stuff to add to the pile. I always do this - it is me and I may as well accept this quirk in my personality. I just know I am going to forget something I need and, of course, will not be able to buy it and not be able to live without it....................


I did buy the book the book Journal Revolution I mentioned a while back and plan to do some visual journaling while I am travelling to Madison and in my hotel room. I really think I will have fun doing this.... I will be reading it on the plane and put my little journal ("Wide Open" I also bought last week) and some color pencils in my carry-on.

Hopefully, you will see some of these pages when I return. I have everything packed and ready to go. All my supplies -- AND yes, my clothes tooooo -- I swear I am sometimes like the absentminded professor when I get focused on my art work. Yes, I have glue, brushes, paint, and pens -- what do you mean PJs? huh? Yes, I will show you some pages soon.

Well, have to run and head to work, then to my workout with James, then home, then pack the luggage, .... I leave really early in the morning (6:00am on the plane).... In closing I am posting a page from my "workshop journal" where I experimented trying to work with different shades of white which for me was a little harder than I first thought. I called it "cold soup."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to drop a quick note and thank you again for FINALLY starting a blog. I love seeing your work. It makes me want to scurry down to my studio & be creative.

Safe travels my friend....

Annette said...

Ok, Marlynn, you have inspired me to get off my duff and start painting and sketching. Your art is incredible.

Boutade said...

Have a GREAT time M. I liked the little "serenity" at the top of "orleans", a nice touch. Your journals are arresting pieces to meditate on.