Sunday, January 30, 2011

Salon des Cent - the end

Yes, I promised you the final pages of my little brown paper bag book. My Salon des Cent - the voyage. It was really fun making because it was the "first" ... yes, the first time I made a little brown paper bag book those many years ago. And I might add--it did spur others to follow: Lizzie Borden (which you have not seen); Marie Antoinette (it was published); Alice in Wonderland (it was rejected); and others waiting inside to be created....the one in particular waiting is the "first witch of Salem." These started out as a series of "misunderstood" women and along the way I was sidetracked. But these are the kind of little brown bags that know no deadline.

The final two pages are simple. Splatter paint on both sides. On left, add a page of an old book (I used a paperback of MacLaine's Out on a Limb with its fascinating quotes....as backgrounds are great). Stamp "Dear Diary" and then uesed one of my favorite Oscar Wilde quotes, "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something SENSATIONAL to read in the train." Inkadinkado makes this stamp.

On the opposite side, I used a vellum die cut from Paperbilities. Loved these 15 die cuts - which of course are not made anymore..... Added a book page behind and also used a little bit of felt tip pens on the back to give a hint of color.

You have seen the tag.

I am very happy they sent this back to me even though they held on to it for a very long time. I have no complaints and would still encourage everyone who wants to - to submit your art work. I (laugh) when I say it was "rejected" - that is not true. It was not what the publishers were looking for at that point in time (most of the time this is true).However, I believe this little book got caught in a change over of editors and was stuck behind something since nothing from that "challenge" was ever featured or published or referred to again.

I have been working hard on "office work" this weekend since I took my Thursday snow day BUT I also got a new little red machine in the mail. I have resisted buying this one since it came out - but i caved in... The little Binderie and I have fallen in love with each other this weekend. And besides work I have really had fun creating and making! WOW, what a concept, huh? OK, as you know I haven't been doing this lately, but it is coming back.


I am using items sent to me by one of my best buds and who knows this little book may be sent back to her - a new concept in "Regifting" - don't you think? LOL

Love this image from an old book and, of course had to use it after I sewed some lace on the page.

Marie is always good with a little ear piece added in the appropriate "black" along with feathers!

And, of course I always have to have my stuff hanging out with me since I just don't know what I might "grab" to glue on a page,

Headed over to Larcy's in a bit for dinner - will get to see my nephew pup Oliver! So will close this out. You all have a good evening!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, so inspired by your photos and art writings. And since I couldn't locate the Nov 2010 issue of CPS, I ordered a back issue from Amazon. (I had to read that essay you mentioned in a previous post.) Hope you enjoyed your dinner out!

Janet Ghio said...

Love all the art! Have a lovely dinner and give Oliver a hug from me!!

Jan Hennings said...

Great album and love the images you chose :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Once again, I'm late. I read a blog post from Leslie Riley's blog about Somerset and the way they have expanded their line of magazines, raised their prices, and now every magazine looks the same. Lots of comments included "no more pointy hats, wings, and striped socks." So others are taking notice of the shift in practices and what they are now deeming acceptable.

I hope you gave Oliver a big old smooch. He needs it. He misses his Aunt. Harley told me. The rat said nothing.

~*~Patty said...

such fun seeing your book pages M...there is so much to see and enjoy...it must be a great book to sit down with to savor each page

hope you are snug and warm in our wacky weather
oxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Just came back to ask if you are warm and HOPEFULLY taking a "snow day." The reports from your area are sounding brutal.