Thursday, December 2, 2010

Dia de Los Muertos


Hello my little peepers. Greetings from the Honeysuckles. Or, Hola, amigos! That is the extent I know of the Spanish language. As you can imagine Dianne received her "Mexico" pages and so I can show the creation I made last weekend. This is an 16" x 16" watercolor paper (folded to make 8x8 pages) painted with acrylic paints.
The first page was dedicated to Dia de Los Muertos - the Day of the Dead celebration held in Mexico around November 1.



The image on the first page was cut out of a beautiful cookbook and then decorative items were added such as clock parts, jewels, and a skeleton's hand. I used a scrap piece of floral ribbon around the cut-out. The shinny image behind the image is a cutout from a food package. Here is a close up of the clock parts used as an earring and at the top and bottom of the oval:

Here are the two inside pages. The left side is from a cookbook explaining how to prepare your chilies.... yes in Spanish. The right side is an image from a cookbook describing Cinco de Mayo. The skeleton was cut out from other clip art I had - thanks to Michelle Ward and our September workshop. The skeleton and skull went so well with the loving couple I had to use them....

Don't know what creative vent mused me into making a flap but I did - I had a playing card of the heart and a stamp and so used this theme on the inside:

Oh ooppps, the dreaded camera wrist strap...... YIKES.... oh well, too late to redo since Dianne has her pages,

And the heart stamped on a transparency and highlighted with a red sharpie pen....

And finally the last page.....

Nope, I have no idea what made me use this pear. Can't even remember where I got it from but I did have a playing card with the Spanish word for Pear..... These were really fun to work on and I am so happy Dianne "loves" them. So don't have much more to say except to use a portion of my identifying tag made for this art work and say,

My little honeysuckle peeps --- Adios or as they say, Hasta la Vista! Whoop Whoop


5 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

Love Dio de los Muertos and your pages are fabulous!!

Createology said...

You really got into the spirit of Dia de Los Muertos and your journal is full of fabulous pages. Lots of interesting things to draw us in. Wonderful. Happy weekend to you...

Diane said...

So good to see you do your magic again--so much creativity!
P.S. Have you been watching Survivor?--interesting to say the least.

Terri said...

Wooohoooo! I love your style! You always create the most interesting art...with all kinds of meanings.
I can't say which part I love the most.
Hugs,
Terri

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm SO late getting here. I was lost without my internet, and now I'm playing catch up. I love, love these pages. They are adorable. This one will be hard for me, but you have done remarkably with the theme. Love it. Very clever use of food wrappers as inspiration. Gotta love those Lotteria cards for that purpose, too.