Sunday, June 13, 2010

An Artful Collage Journey among the Honeysuckles

Harley and I had a ball at our workshop yesterday at The Queen's Ink in Savage, Maryland, with Jane Davies and our College Journey! What a fun fun fun artist!


This workshop focused on creating pages in order to pick up the journal and begin working. In other words, we would have "no blank pages" to begin our journey in collaging.


I loved the whole idea of creating pages with complete abandon by just layering tissue, images, old papers, in a "willy nilly" way. It was pure freedom.

No thinking.
No debating on what would go on the page. I call it my slap and glue technique. Claudine Hellmuth got "rich" off of me yesterday. No telling how much of her Studio MultiMedium Matte I used in this book.

I didn't care, just walked into the store and bought another little bottle!

I loved the way the front cover came along

and am now working on the "beading" which I don't necessarily know how to do. What is that saying, "Fake it till you Make it" ?


I was able to get so much accomplished yesterday because of three "buds" I have: Debby, Terri, and Elizabeth. I literally took a "stash of stuff" I have received from them in the mail. And used those items on these pages. I know which ones were sent by each of these incredible artists - my buds! That is one thing that is making this journal so special....

You know, Harley had a great time too. He loved it when Jane picked him up and showed his butt to the camera....


On second thought, I think he was trying to roll over or play dead so she would rub his tummy. He is such a little suck-up, no matter how much he protests to the contrary.....


As we go along on our collage journey, I will show you my pages as they progress. You know, I need to get Harley to help me unload all of the supplies we carted to Maryland! Here is the inside of the back cover...... boys and girls!


Hope you enjoy the rest of what is left of a Sunday here in the Honeysuckle Breeze. Just started raining, the humidity has been so thick today you could literally cut it with a knife. Ninety + and probably 100% humidity. And this is still the first of June.....


12 comments:

Dorthe said...

Hi dear Marlynn,
I love every single page you showed, they are so wonderfull, and it must have been a very great time,there,just creating ,without planning...wow.
Your last page is soooo beautifull.
Hugs, Dorthe

Janet Ghio said...

Looks like a great workshop. I love Jane Davies books!!

Steph said...

Marlynn, these pages are gorgeous!!! and Harley looked like he had a ball of a time!!!

Debby said...

hehehe!!!! That Harley is such a HAM!!!
I am lovin' your beautiful new book and so happy you can use some of the goodies I sent you. Can hardly wait to see more.
Hugs,
Debby

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Looks like you had an awesome time yesterday. Looks like you found the deli paper. I suspect you might be getting low, though.

Harley sure had a good time. Looks like you learned a lot and made a fantastic journal.

I'm sort of watching the Lakers get their butts beat and watching the rain come down in droves. High heat and humidity here, too.

Diane said...

What a great workshop--I would have loved this, and I would have been a little starstruck with Jane Davies, I know.

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Marlynn
what a wonderful class this must have been! I love what you created during that time (and thanks for sharing all the wonderful pictures)! Happy Tuesday!

Terri said...

Hi Marlynn, I love your complete abandon. That is what I need!
Your new journal is fab and I love that you used stuff that your friends sent you. When I saw "Breathe" on the cover, I did indeed draw in a good breath. I am honored!
I always love watching your process.
I was looking at "Poefully" the other day, just enjoying looking at it. I am so glad it is here in my room.
I am taking a leaf out of your book and promising myself to relax and let go some more.
Hugs,
Terri

~*~Patty said...

oh it's clear you had a wonderful time ... with beautiful results too!
fun post M!
oxo

Mom2fur said...

Very pretty! I don't do collages, but I should. It would use up some of my stuff, LOL!
Your comment on my blog gave me my first smile of the day. I'm so glad I was able to help you. BTW, I think Michael's has that Sugar n Cream yarn on sale for a dollar this week. I also know that Walmart carries it.
I can't believe they didn't tell you not to count that loop on the hook as a stitch. Just learning that simple thing really helped me. The book I used was "I Taught Myself to Crochet."
Don't think I'm any expert. I'm actually making my first real garment--a sweater--and you don't want to know how many times I've pulled out rows on it, LOL!

Kathy said...

Your book came out so beautiful and I enjoyed reading about the process.

Kimber said...

Oh, how lucky you got to take a class with her! I just got her book as a birthday gift last month and I am loving it!
Beautiful creations!