Sunday, May 8, 2011

To the Women Who Went Before

Today is Mother's Day and I am missing my momma. She passed over October 1, 1998 while here brother and sister were visiting from California -- only my brother (Missouri) and me (Northern Virginia) had to fly in for the funeral.  She was an incredible woman who was in nurses training when my dad returned from WWII in 1946 and they ran off and eloped. They had only known each other through letters - which I still have. My mom had moved next door to my dad's mom (momo) who encouraged her to write her son in the war. Little did momo know that when he returned those two would run off together.

Such are stuff romance novels are written about. I came along a year later and 13 months later my brother came along.  Back to nurses training, back then young ladies could NOT be married and go to nurses schools. She had to drop out but she went back when she turned 40 and graduated from college as a Registered Nurse. That takes guts and she had it.  I admired her back then for going back to school. She was a special lady and there will not be another one like her in my universe.

This is a love letter to those special women who went before me.  All three make up the me I call me.

My German Grandmother, Grandma:


Strictly conservative and Lutheran as they come.

My Southern Grandmother, Momo,


As Southern as southern can be and Southern Baptist on top of all that... Living  next door to each other most of my life!


Happy Mother's Day to all three of you - I know you are looking down from Heaven smiling at the me I have become and I just want you to know I love you all so much and think of you often. Hugs to all my Honeysuckle Peeps as you celebrate this special day today.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to the women who provided your foundation! Thanks for sharing this glimpse into your past life -- wishing you a wonderful day, and all the good memories you can hold.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

A lovely tribute to these women who made you who you are today. And I love the gorgeous quiltlets that made their photos come to life. Happy rest of Mother's Day to you, even though you, like me, will probably never be "mother."

Janet Ghio said...

What a romantic story!! and what a cute photo of your mama and baby you I am guessing!!

Jan Hennings said...

A beautiful tribute to your Mom :)

Terri said...

Marlynn, your post is so loving. The artwork you have done to honor them is beautiful!
Hugs,
Terri

Annette said...

I thought your parents grew up next door to each other! I didn't know they only knew each other through letters. Wow!

Diane said...

They helped you become the special lady that you are today--a great tribute to all 3 of your "Moms" who helped guide you.

Anonymous said...

oh man, what a totally
nice
sweet
conSIderaTe

tribute

to your special ladies.

Xx,
Amy

~*~Patty S said...

Thank you for sharing these lovely and special ladies in your life with us dear M...it was extra sweet getting an up close and personal look at them in your beautiful artwork too.
I had no words for this first Mother's Day without my Mutti...I know that time will teach me how to go on without her physically here...
like you I am grateful to feel her presence and warm smiles from above...
Bless them all!

BIG hugs to you dear friend...
I am trying to find my way back in blogland before we're off to VA Tech for our boys graduation = yippee yay!
Happy May to ya dear one!
oxo

Lovey said...

Oh wow Marlynn this is beautiful! I love the history here...and you're right..makes for a wonderful romance novel! True love indeed and how awesome that you have the letters! Beautiful women in your life...you are a piece of each of them...so caring, warm, special...Just beautiful! I love your artwork as well! Multitalented You!