Thursday, November 18, 2010

What Cancer Cannot Do......

OK my little honeysuckle breezers, after a small set-back, we are hanging in there, slowly healing. Had a second operation on Monday when my blood thinner medicine acted up and my trusty doctor had to put a drain in to get rid of some unwelcome built-up blood which caused painful swelling. Dolly Parton was getting jealous there……. Yup, really big bad swelling. Spent Monday and Monday night in the hospital and got back home on Tuesday. I have just been hanging out. Positive Note: Without pain medication!

Tuesday, my trainer (James) and other trainer (Mary) brought me home from the hospital while my tennis bud (and breast-cancer survivor) Barbara brought me some food and a beautiful flower. (Yes, Patty - it is a swan! *wink*)



Barbara had me laughing and smiling (OK probably still on drugs) and I really needed that. Going through some weird feelings right now and I know those of you who have been there know what I am talking about. At times I don't want to talk on the phone or in person to anyone for that matter. I don’t want to discuss “breast cancer” and keep reliving the diagnosis, the operations, the soon to be recovery. I just don’t want to and I don’t think I am unusual about this. I know that there are those out there who really are concerned, and of course, with family and a few special friends, I do go into a lot of details with them. But not others.

I’m on heavy duty antibiotics for 14 days. Last night, (yes a positive note here) I was able to sleep in my own bed for close to 5 hours instead of jumping back and forth between my two recliners downstairs. I’m starting to eat which is good…. And hoping my blood pressure will start to come up a little. I am tiring out.
OK in closing, I told you I would show you more of the wonderful book Jill sent…. And we will end this post with these two pages. I love this last page: quote on stamp (which I also have) is "Every step you take is a step away from where you used to be."

It cannot conquer the spirit. I am banking on this one. I have not been up here at the computer since Saturday and I am already weary and need to get back downstairs. Yes my drain is bothering me. ughies..... But on a positive note - no swelling no pain. *BIG Grin* here.

I know cancer cannot conquer the spirit.... i just need to remind me of that during the day. This is an odd place to cut this post off, but I am waiting for Larcy and Oliver to come over and need to be downstairs. Thank you for your emails, cards (!!!), and prayers. I love you all, just keep me still in your prayers. I've got a doctor's appointment for 8 am in the morning....... and will let you know how it goes.


8 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You haven't left my thoughts since I first read about this. You seem to be so calm about it and have been from the beginning. And cancer cannot take your friends away from you, no matter how little or much you choose to talk about it. You are truly and deeply loved, dear friend!!

Diane said...

Sorry I haven't been around much lately Marlynn, but just know that you're in my thoughts--I know this is cliche-- but remember--one day at a time.

Terri said...

So good to see you here, and to see that indeed your Spirit is not broken.
I am glad to hear you had a good sleep in your own bed, that must have felt really good.
I can understand the change of mood around seeing others, or talking about what you are experiencing. Sounds totally normal for the situation.
I wish you the best at your appointment tomorrow.
More hugs to you dear girl,
Terri

~*~Patty S said...

It is so encouraging to see you posting M...you remain ever in my thoughts and prayers.
Everything you're feeling is exactly what you should be feeling...be gentle with yourself and keep healing and resting!
Here's to good news at the doc and feeling more and more comfortable!
oxo
word verification: wootsa
;)

~*~Patty S said...

oh and your swan arrangement is so lovely too!
oxo

Janet Ghio said...

OW!!! Sorry you had to go back into the hospital- I'm glad you were able to sleep so for 5 hours in your own bed--good. Big hugs-the advantage of long distance hugs is that they can be as big and tight and they can't hurt you!! Keeping you in my thoughts!!

Createology said...

Believe in the power of prayers as they continue for your complete and comfortable recovery. Love the shoe stamp and what it says...I use my same stamp a lot. Happy Healing...

Debby said...

So glad to see your posting sweetie, Sorry for the set back, thinking of you and holding you in my thought.
Big hugs,
Debby