Monday, November 8, 2010

Say What?

You gotta be kidding......

Yes, that is the sign I saw as I walked in for my very first MRI. Crummies, but I really am glad I did not really really really know what to expect.

When one has to lay down - on your tummy with cut out holes for two various parts of your body - are you getting my drift...... Holy Son-Of-A-Gun it really isn't a massage you are going for as you lay down your head into the donut hole.

OK, I admit - I did play the "heart" card and explained I did have a pretty ugly scar going down the middle of my chest and that ugly looking center rectangle piece of hard core plastic or rubber just wasn't gonna work.

Not for 15 minutes or more. No way!

They were really nice and let me play the heart scar card and gave me something that did help. I didn't see Harley anywhere. Nope, he ran for the hills, I think? His story, he was guarding the door.... from what, bandits?

It really was longer than 15 minutes - more like 30-40 minutes without m-0-v-i-n-G. Holy Crap (I am saying that with reverence.... really my little peeps).... You know what took the time - that metal chicken wire that is holding my sternum together from the open heart surgery. Chick Wire - I asked the cardiologist after surgery when they were taking it out - like never was the answer. So it took a little longer in the MRI since they kept trying to work around the wire. AND, I really hope after all of that - I really do glow in the dark, dang it! Harley claimed he volunteered but no one was listening. He did go flying in the waiting room as someone opened the door, I really think he was trying to get out of Dodge when he heard "loud noise" "ear plugs" "no moving" "small enclosed space" - that's my little bud...

OK - I'm sure you don't want to hear anymore about the MRI (I don't) and so we move on to my "security heart." When I first found out about the breast cancer on October 1 (funny how dates work - my mother died on October 1, 1998, hmmmm), I was headed to lunch and my cell phone rang - knew it wasn't good when the doctor asked if I was driving.... anyway, that night after tennis, I went home and laying on the coffee table was this beautiful lavender stuffed heart that Patty made for me back in the spring time when we met for tea.

Yes, I was in a little bit of shock and after my shower and dinner, I took the heart and put next to the cancer mass in my sport bra and, believe it or not, a peace came over me .... and it has been my security heart going everywhere I go, literally. So my little honeysuckles, remember that you never know what your works of art can do - such as giving one individual a terrific moving spiritual moment. Hugs my Patty and ---- the lavender is still so comforting..... Tonight in the mail was book from my cousin, Pam, who is a breast cancer survivor,

This book is by Barbara Delinsky and available from Amazon.com. I have managed to open the cover and read some items quickly. Looks like it will be a great resource for me. Love my cousin,

So, as usual, need to run down and make dinner and thank all of you for your kind remarks on yesterday's post. It was such a relief to share this with you because I can now journal on the blog about it and I promise I will be back to making art shortly. Right now I am reverting back to something I always do, especially in the winter, yes, cross-stitch. Will let you guess what this will become as we walk the journey. Hugs, my little peeps...


7 comments:

Lovey said...

Wow what a day you've had. I wish I could hold your hand my sweet Marlynn. Whenever and however you find peace...as long as you find some I'm HAPPY! Beauty for Ashes...You are beautiful Marlynn! Hang in there my sweets...

Janet Ghio said...

Well, I am certainly glad that Harley was there guarding the door! Good to have friends close by when you have to get a stinkin' MRI!!

~*~Patty S said...

aw you dear Lady you ... how honored am I that my little Lavender heart was there for you!

I am imagining those "eggs" in the wire nest as a symbol of promise and rebirth for you dear one

don't get me started about MRI's ... I found out about the beauty of valium when I had mine ... you and Harley done GOOD...real Good!!!
oxo

Terri said...

Oh Marlynn, I just read your other post as well, and all I can say is that I wish for you the best doctors and health care workers, that they do their very best in caring for you. I am hoping and praying that the surgery ends up a simple one, and the recovery a quick one.
You are on my mind and in my heart.
Hugs and hugs to you,
Terri

michelle ward said...

My darling friend - just catching up with you here and was surprised by the news. But I am not surprised by the courageous way you are taking this on. Loved your quote shared on the post below. Such a gracious and uplifting way to view an onstacle such as this. Holding you in a big squishy hug and squeezing my eyes tight in prayer that you get the very best care. I am visualizing you, racket in hand, with ease of movement...and that beautiful smile on your face and a wink in your eye as of to say *i licked one this too*

xoxo

Debby said...

Oh my dear sweet friend, I am just cathcing up in blogland and wishing I lived closer to you. Glad Harley is there and the beautiful heart Patti made for you. I will be thinking of you. love you...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never had an MRI. When I was in grad school, I tested a few patients who were having or had just had one to determine claustrophobia.

I'm glad Harley was with you. I know he helped keep your spirits up. I'm so far behind, I need to catch up on the rest of your posts.