Saturday, September 3, 2011

What I Doing on My Long Holiday Weekend

Dateline: September 1, 2011
Topic: US Open Tennis
Where: Flushing Meadows, NY
How: Bus Ride

Yup, on Thursday, September 1, 2011 I did my annual one-day visit to the US Open on a bus ride. Hmmm, better bus than last year. But the butt was still sore coming home because one sits on bleachers and hard seats the whole day. Would I do it again? You betcha.


Up at 4:00am in order to head out of Reston at 5:45am. Arrived at the US Open around 12:15pm and I missed the singles match I really wanted to see:  Francesa Schiavone in Arther Ashe Stadium. I got into my seat as she literally won the match and it was over.


But not all was lost. Got to see Serena Willliams,


Roger Federer for the second time,


and young US player,Melanie Oudin, playing doubles. She has not had a good year but fun to watch.


And then I noticed on the schedule that Francesa was playing doubles. Woot Woot. And so over to the court I headed and was not disappointed.


She and her partner did win the match.


Then at 6:30pm we headed home - yes, after a day of watching tennis and crowds, you are ready to head homeward bound. The traffic getting out of NYC never disappoints you.


Don't know how I managed this photo but it is one of my favorites. Made it to my condo at 12:30am and then hit the bed.

And today - just hanging out and yes, Dianne, I am still cleaning. Dianne was so funny in the previous post mentioning that it always seemed when she came to visit I was either cleaning or purging. Little does she know (OK, dirty little secret time) I do nothing all week when it comes to home caring. After work I am either working out with my trainer or trying to play tennis or just lazing around. The only time I manage to carve out for any cleaning or purging is on the weekend when you all drop by.


Am planning on playing singles tennis tomorrow morning with my bud BJ. Let's see how bad he beats me tomorrow. Two weekends ago it was h o rr i ble...... literally.  Yes, you may be seeing me again tomorrow with some kind of creation.  Stayed Tuned....



9 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I hate to tell you (and correct me if I'm wrong) but I think that should read 12:30 AM. Of course, from the looks of the traffic, it may have taken you over 30 hours to get home (grin).

On a serious note, I'm thrilled you got to see the US Open again this year. I remember last year and telling my friend Sally who is a BIG tennis fan about your trip to Flushing Meadow. She was SO jealous.

Hope you are able to get more purging done this long weekend, then spend some quality time with the Rat and Harley. Have a super weekend, dear friend, and don't get beat (or is that beaten) too badly.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

By the way, I love that photo of the traffic that was actually a "mistake." I had a lot of those similar photos leaving California this spring.

Marlynn said...

Thank you Elizabeth!! LOL - I got it edited to 12:30 AM. Hugs from Harley, the Rat, and me.

Dorthe said...

Marlynn, what a tour, must have been fantastic, for you -playing so much yourself.
Wish you a great week-end- relaxing-playing-and cleaning :)
xo,Dorthe

Janet Ghio said...

Hi Marlynn! Just realized I have been spelling your name wrong all this time! Anyway-looks like a fun but tiring day you had! Have a good rest of the weekend!!

Terri said...

Wow, how fun for you! A whole day focused on tennis! I am so glad you had such a grand time (minus bum issues and traffic!).
I am in dire need of cleaning up my art room, I get started and only get a little done before I must head off to another commitment, then I come back and create something (along with new mess)and I am back at square one. I am thinking of locking myself in my room until it is done ; )
Hugs,
Terri

~*~Patty S said...

looks like a wonderful time indeed Lady!!!

bet you slept well too after all that fun!

I am doing a bit of cleaning out here...WHAT...should I blame you or thank you...when I stop sneezing I'll figure it out

I have enough collage fodder for several lifetimes it seems...the worst thing is I LOVE my stuff...so it's a slow process...thank YOU very much hah!

take care my friend
oxo
back to the coal mines!

Annette said...

I love that you go places like that and do things you love! It is fall, so I am starting the annual purging as well. Today begins the clean out the closet routine. This week will culminate in buying a new vacuum cleaner. I hate buying them, but the old one committed suicide by breaking off essential parts holding it together. I suppose 15 years old is old for a Hoover.

Lovey said...

Oh so cool!!!!!!!