Saturday, January 9, 2010

Netting the Honeysuckles

"net (net)n. 1. Openwork fabric made of cords, threads, or ropes woven or knotted together at regular intervals. . ." Webster's II


Years ago if you said, "net," I thought of fishing, hair, or profit. Today I think of altered art. What can I do with all the "nets" that I buy at the grocery store? I love using them but attaching them is another challenge for me depending on the art work. This post was inspired by one of my new blog friends,Bluebeard and Elizabeth. She and I started corresponding after she showed up in the Honeysuckles one day and saw my Hilda quote art work where I used my Thanksgiving turkey netting. That net is so cool because it is a beautiful burnished gold and works well in altered art.



In "Song Nets" I ended up stapling the net to the page and used "color" staples so it would blend in better. Yes, I did try to glue that baby down..... I knew it wouldn't work..... but I tried again...... again and again. Grabbed the stapler. I have to admit the net was an after thought. (After thought - I have them all the time when working a piece and I keep diddling with it until I can diddle no more and walk away.)


I am "focusing" this year on art journaling. Yes, I have done it - but it's been off and on. I want to discipline myself to do it more often and on a regular basis. ... .Which circles back around to (are you following me boys and girls?) netting. (whew - i knew i would get back there).


Another way I attach my netting is with tape -- masking, gaffer, electrical. In my Gratitude Journal kept for 30 whole days last May, I discovered that it was dull, yes, the journal was dull. So this past summer vacation I started adding art journaling to blank pages in between the posts and on top of the posts.

Staples were not an option on this piece since I had already created the previous page. Grab the 7 gypsies gaffer tape and you have the net attached. Okie, dokie, guess what - I have to get busy but I so enjoy chatting with you. Got several things on my "to-do-list" today and I had better get started..... I will be checking back in with you.... in the meantime ..... remember.....


"In my life's chain of events nothing was accidental. Everything happened according to an inner need." Hannah Senesh


8 comments:

Debby said...

Well, aren't you just the smartest cookie, what a cool idea, never thought about using the turkey netting in my art. And I love Babybel, so when my net is empty I will have to save it for a later date...LOL...Love your art piece with the PW image, gorgeous!!
Hugs,
Debby

Diane said...

Hi Marlynn, I just found your blog--beautiful art--I'll be looking forward to your future posts--loved what you did with the netting!

Terri said...

So great Marlynn, I love the netting you added to your pages, especially the Hilda poem. You lucky, you have gold netting!
Have a happy creative Saturday!

denise said...

so creative! i love the net in so many different ways...and you can enjoy the cheese while creating! fun...

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

ooo Loving the use of turkey netting you ARE truly my kinda gal ... Elizabeth sent me your way today with her lovely post :)

Just signed up to get journal prompts from:

http://oneyearartjournal.blogspot.com/
you too may find it of interest, a friend, Marit in The Netherlands turned me on to it (Love this world wide net we get to visit)

Some day I must show you my net collection teehee!
LOVE how you used it, LUVerly art as always my friend!
oxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Marlynn,

What a wonderful post! I was totally impressed with the various ways you used netting. I so love the stuff, too, but have never seen the gold before.

I've never used gaffer tape, and to my knowledge, have never even seen it. But I have used masking, electrical, and copper tape, as well as staples and bandages. I even used eyelets once, but you have to position a bit of the net in the hole you punch, then secure it under the eyelet to be successful, or it's liable to come loose, along with loosening the eyelet. Don't ask me how I know.

Julie Prichard said...

WOW Those nets look great...I would have never thought of that!

Lindart said...

Love the use of the netting! I've used it before too in my altered books. I love the page with the blue man (he looks familiar?-Mozart or someone like that?) and the oval around his eyes.