Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ink Blots in the Breeze

I know, I know, as much as I talk about Stampington and Somerset Studios you would think I owned stock in the company. I know, I should! BUT, like I mentioned last week, in this issue of artists' cafe (Best of Somerset Studio Art & Design), volume 3, I have found some projects that I am really (for once) experimenting with! Oh my, oh my.....

Last week I was inspired to begin making ATC cards using the Alphabet... inspiration found on page 74, by Jennifer Black. This week it is ink blots. The article is by Sandra Evertson and from the September/October 2007 issue of Somerset entitled, Imaginative Ink Blot Characters, on page 83......


If you knew how many blank white cards I have waiting to be made..... but I am creating other stuff..... oh no, white cards and paint - this works and last night I created my first "completed" ink blot creation. I learned a few things like don't use tooo toooo toooo much paint, okie dokie, Einstein (that's me I am being sarcastic with...)


You see above, I am behaving, OK this was the last one I tried...... Fold card and rub..... rub.....


Nice and juicy - OH NO, I have to be patient and let it dry? Hmmmmmm, didn't figure that in my limited time to create. OK, find some images to cut up while blot is drying. I went to my file folder that I just organized thanks to the inspiration of Elizabeth and Bluebeard over at Altered Book Lover, January 15 post, A few organization tips. Thank you Elizabeth, you did inspire me. I found my Paper Relics pages and found a delightful gal to cut up -- Head, arms and legs.

Yes, on this blot you have wings glued on, head/neck glued, and arms ..... We then had her little legs. The blot was big, she wasn't as big, so I had to draw more "leg" - called it her pantaloons.


I was then faced with a lot of "white space" and started creating backwards. I tore up sheet music and applied, I added some rhinestone swirls I bought last summer,

and added one of my favorite quotes and colored with felt tip some of the words....


Sewed on some defective ribbon and we had our creation. I really loved playing with this and now need to refocus back on my ATC alphabet cards. (My weakness is to scatter myself....and flit from project to project completing none.)



I hope you enjoyed the creation I called "Walk About" - OK, I admit I'm watching the Australian Open Tennis Match. And in closing, I found a photo of my nephew-pup Oliver when he was such a tiny tiny guy (two years ago in December) and only home with his mommy and daddy for a few weeks .... Oliver came over to meet his Auntie and things have never been the same.....


What a pup! See you all soon...........


5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Where do I begin with this post? First, the ink spots were fun, but the piece you put together with just a few blots of ink/paint was simply incredible. I have to admit, at first I didn't see that the completed piece used the ink spots, that's how deft you were with them.

Second, thank you beyond belief for such nice words about my organization post. If it helped in any way, I am eternally grateful. And, grateful to you for acknowledging it.

Third, I have trouble moving ON to other projects that need completion when I still have one on the table. I might make a few backgrounds, beads, or other embellishments, but I have trouble not finishing one project before I start another. In that respect, I wish I were more like you.

Korie B. said...

Seriously my friend, that one is breathtaking! I am truly wowed!

BTW, who did your blog banner? Cute!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

M you've done it again with an ink blot no less!
What a brilliant creation in every detail!
Inquiring minds ... did you do the lettering for the quote?
Happy Friday!
oxo

Terri said...

Marlynn, I loved reading this post and seeing your work in progression.
I have that issue of Artist Cafe as well and I have to agree, there is very inspiring art in there. Your art inspires me!
I hope you have a fab weekend!
Hugs,
Terri

Anonymous said...

Marlynn, You are a talent to reckon with! How you see such imaginative things in your ink blot amaze me. Submit some of these, publishers should grab them and publish you again. Lois Bell