Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Street Team Crusade Challenge # 30


Yes, if it is the beginning of the month, it is time for a new crusade issued by Michelle Ward. This month the title is "Cat Got Your Tongue." Michelle states that this is a "prompt to get you to think about 'journaling,' the writing you add to a page." She then discusses how to "Use your WORDS" and "USE your Words." It is a fascinating topic for me and one I never shy away from. I kept a diary when I was 13 years old for one full year and have that diary to this day. I have always written and so journaling is nothing new to me. I also don't hate my handwriting which I hear a lot of us talk about as a reason for not using handwriting in our art work.

I have several examples already of my journaling that I have used in different notebooks and my "Painted Page" journal done at Michelle's workshop in May 2008. I had to show you a photo of Michelle at work - it is a wonder to behold when she is lost in the creation!


So, let's start with my Painted Page journal that I love working in and have used for a number of these challenges:


I call the left had side the "Druid Tree." These two pages were painted at the workshop and then worked on at home.

The story about the Druid Tree is one I made up, the title, "The Tree and the Druid," I found in an old murder mystery book.


The next page was also done at the workshop. Michelle gave us some really cool tags! When I got home, I was playing with the page and filled in specifics on the tag....


I am awed with artists who can write all over the page and in circles - yes I am awed and I know we have a number of artists in these crusades who can do this. I don't work that way. In other journals I just add images and then just start . . . These two pages are not close together but both deal with karma in one way or another. In the first page below I spelled out Karma using the Tim Holtz distressables doodads.




I travel with a dedicated small visual journal for trips - business or otherwise. While on the road, I gather stuff to put in it. Sometimes I work in the book while sitting in airports. I really enjoy abusing this little journal and sew in it a lot. This was a page that was done on my "Halloween" Madison WI trip. I had to work in Madison over Halloween and those of you who know me really know this is my favorite time of the year. The hotel had 6 TV channels dedicated to sports alone - no sci-fi channel, no travel channel, no food channel - it sucked. As you can tell from my journaling. (No, I really am not hanging the cat. Sewing was on the other page.) I called the cat "pumpkin head."



Thank you Michelle for this topic. I do it a lot but don't think about it. Oh yes, one way I "USED my words was on a page called Orleans! What a way to end with two ads - one from Netflix and one from Martha Stewart Living all leading to Orleans!

18 comments:

michelle ward said...

Marlynn - you've been keeping a journal since you were 13? Wow, I'm impressed! Also impressive is the many pages you have shown us with 'using WORDS' and 'USING words'. You pack alot onto a page girl, great stuff! (I could have done without seeing myself here though *wink*) Thanks for sharing with the team.

Gil Jussara said...

Marylynn, thanks for your visit.
your pages is very beautiful.Like you, i love to write.For me it is a better exercise than exist for our soul.kisses, Gil

Regina said...

Thanks for sharing all this work. There's a lot to be inspired by.

Pocket Size said...

Wow, I love your work! There's so much to find in each one of your pages. Great stuff :)

forcryeye said...

Wicked cool! I too share your love of Halloween! Maybe I can get going with my new-from-you supplies and join this month!?! thank you again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lee said...

Wow I wish I had been keeping a journal since 13....so I could remember what I was like back then. Your pages are beautiful and so inspiring.

Anonymous said...

I can write in a circle...but I ADMIRE YOU for being able to journal so well with the imagery you have on each page!! I wish I could do that..I hardly can make a collage.

Linda Vincent said...

Oh my word...these pages are amazing!(No pun intended.)
I have really enjoyed looking at all your work - you inspire me so much Marlynn.
Happy Easter...
Hugs
Linda :-)

Mescrap said...

Those journal spread are cool !!
I love all of it and enjoy looking at each and every details.
Next time I must bring my journal when I'm on trip. Thanks for sharing your journal with us.

Melisa said...

A hotel with no sci-fi? Horrors! I especially love the little tag. It looks so official filled out!

Penny Rabbit said...

Omigosh, this book is incredible. It's so refreshing seeing someone using words so freely! Very gorgeous book. I LOVE your white tag with blue writing and eggs....too cool for words!

Lindart said...

Wonderful journal - chock full to overflowing! I love all the different tags, stamps and ephemera you have used on your pages, and inspiration!

Unknown said...

wow! You've been at this a long time...wonderful to see.

Rosie said...

I love your pages Marlynn! They are all so different and so expressive. TFS the pic of Michelle at work... that must've been great to see.
The image that stood out most for me is Jack the Ripper over a letterbox! Brilliant!!

Anonymous said...

The page with the cat did give me a start initially LOL. And very cool to see Michelle's engrossed in her art. Your pages look great; so much variety and so much to look at. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Kathryn Costa said...

Your pages are jam packed with goodies and inspiration. I love looking at them all. How fun it must have been to take a workshop from Michelle!

Ingrid Dijkers said...

Wow! great journal work! Love your use of color and your words are incorporated beautifully!
Best-
Ingrid

Julie said...

Oh I really love your pages, so much to see! Just wonderful!