Saturday, November 12, 2011

Getting ready for the Thanksgiving Visitors

For those of you who have followed me for years, you know that I am visited each Thanksgiving by my brother and nephew (who is also my godson). This year we have the pleasure of my niece and her son joining the fray! Which means I will be cooking a turkey for Jim, Aaron, Kim, Caden, Larcy/Phil/Oliver. We will have a grand time. The only stress I always always have is getting the craft room ready so Aaron will have a bed. YES, every year we go down this road. But this year is a little different. I am taking time to purge, clean, and store the stuff instead of throwing in a closet at the last minute in order for a room that Aaron can walk into.

So, with Elizabeth (Altered Book Lover) in my head:  "like things with like things" and Terri (Artful Affirmations) sending me photos of her studio as she cleans, I have been inspired to keep plugging away. Terri wrote me this week and told me she felt like she had almost 50% done BUT it didn't look like it. BAM - I knew what she meant and probably why I always get frustrated and start tossing things in the closet.


After viewing her photos, and yes, she did manage to get me to open the door last Saturday so she could take a look, I have been working all day on that room - all day - and tomorrow will be doing the same. Here is where my binding machines and coils are living at the moment...... All together in one spot! Yes, you do see the Bind-It-All, the Rubicoil, and the Clinch..... geez, and I need three because.... the one you don't see is the little 7 Gypsies Binderie.


I have craft stuff to donate and luckily have a place to drop it off at, I have stuff for the Goodwill, and I have carted out trash all day.  Here is the craft stuff:


And Goodwill:


My mantra right now is -- let someone else enjoy it for awhile! OK, I admit it, I am a little tired tonight and am planning on doing some cross stitch after I finish this post.


And, last but not least - I never let you all see the last two ATC cards in the alphabet series.  A and B. A = Amour and B = Bats






I know this is a little off kilter but that is me at the moment! LOL My mind is still upstairs toss and purging, OH my! AND of course, learning to use my new white beautiful 4s iPhone..... yes, I crossed over and kissed the BlackBerry Good Bye....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Purging and putting things in order is good once in awhile. Like a couple of times a year! When I quilted, it was a twice a yr purge. Throw away all those tiny scraps, give away patterns I didn't use, etc.
Now that I've gone to the dark side and collect PAPER/PAINT/GLUE/GLITTER, etc....it seems harder to purge. So it's nice to see that YOU had a bit of difficulity, too. And Terri to the rescue.
After you are done and your company is gone, I bet you will have a new sense of creativity because you've found some items you had forgotten about & are seeing your STUFF with fresh eyes!
NOW, get over here and help me!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I wish I had purged when the packers packed my things to send to storage this spring. When I got the boxes back, I spent weeks going through all the stuff, putting it in the right place, and getting rid of a lot of stuff. And just think! My sewing and painting room is on the main floor, while the basement studio holds things for assemblages and other art, like soap making and dyeing fabric.

You have a ton of storage containers. At first I thought they were plastic containers, but upon closer inspection, I saw they were actually pull out drawers. And even though clear plastic is UGLY, you can see what's inside, something I really LOVE. Good for you.

Keep plugging away and don't fill your containers so full you don't have room to add items if the spirit moves you, or if you find a misplaced item.

Dorthe said...

Dear Marlynn, oh I need to do that,too-----------but still creating for christmas, and no time for making order, but I almost can`t be there anymore, so I think one of thise dayes I justHAVE to start cleaning out.
Also my little family comes for christmas, so things have to be put away, and be just a tiny bit in ordre,lol
Wishing you happy plugging away dear friend-hugs,Dorthe

Diane said...

I actually like to clean rooms out like this--it just takes me a long time to start--but once I start--it's fun for me (I'm always arguing with myself too--what to keep and not to keep)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for coach--Hoping "the Family" will stay true to their word. (and I'm hoping when they bring back family members --like they always do, that Russel is one of them--wouldn't that be fun?!

I think Jim was right--Cochran is a perfect person to keep for the final 3--no one will vote for him.

Terri said...

Oh I do know how you are feeling! Today I took a break from cleaning and made my newest tutorial video, which means I also made a new mess! Boo hoo! Tomorrow it will be back to the art room and cleaning. I have yet to tackle the "nest" of ribbons and lace I have stacked three tiers high!
You are doing really well with your room! look at all that stuff going out, that is a good thing too. Aaron will have a nice spot, and you will know where everything is. Win/win!
Your two atcs are fab, of course! Everytime I see your ATCs I want to make some! You are very inspiring.
Hugs,
Terri