Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Chaos that was Thanksgiving

Days spent with family are always exciting in more ways than one. Preparing the holiday turkey, setting the table, figuring out where everyone will sit at a table for four and trying fitting eight chairs around it. This Thanksgiving we added my niece, Kim, and her son (my great-nephew) Caden, to the mix. As you know, my nephew, Aaron has Autism - Aspergers - and his worse nightmare happens at Thanksgiving when he sees his aunt's (that would be me) and his father's (that would be my brother) Thanksgiving plates.  Aaron has written a book called, Finding Kansas, which is interesting since I have a door mat that says, "you're not in Kansas anymore:":



His book featured on the right side of this blog has been picked up by Penguin Books and you can see information on it at this link: Finding Kansas. You can also pre-order the book at that link.

So, let's begin now with the back story - as they say in television.  The day started out early (especially if you go to bed late, "early" is relevant) with me getting this 20 pound turkey in the oven:



And the turkey in the oven at last,


And before you know it, turkey carved, everything out of the oven, let the feast begin:  

Brother, Jim

Nephew Aaron

Great Nephew, Caden, Jim, and Niece, Kim

Along with Phil, Larcy, and Oliver make it to the table,


OK, can't just do one of Oliver as we all know,


As you remember from the video, here is Aaron's plate in all of its organized glory,


WAIT - that could be Larcy's plate..... yes, can you see the two lime green plates interspersed with mother's china? And wouldn't you know, Larcy escaped without her photo being taken however she is in the video!... 

That was our Thursday and another thanksgiving meal in the bag - yes, the turkey was in the bag this year and very juicy, if I say so myself..... Friday, Aaron and I sent Jim, Caden, and Kim downtown DC while we chilled out here in the suburbs and had our Thanksgiving tradition of going to the Game Stop..... yes, every Thanksgiving, Aaron and I head over there.

So with our Saturday comes another tradition - a movie - we will be headed off to see Hugo, in 3-D and our Saturday is still young...... Dearest Brother has done is annual chores around the condo: put in a new faucet in the kitchen, fixed my downstairs toilet, and just finished fixing a sliding door upstairs. Life is good.  See you tomorrow,


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

HHHHHHHHHHaaaaaaaaa.....Aaron is wonderful. And so are YOU! Look at all that food, girl!

Ok, my dau doesn't have what Aaron does, but SHE cannot have her food touching either...it makes her really grumpy! And she only eats one food item at a time, too.

I will check out Aaron's book about Kansas.....seems that you two are definately 'connected'. And I love how you touch him all the time and tell you how much you love him.

Thanks for sharing your dinner and your time with the family. How special was that?

theresa martin said...

Hello Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving day. Looks like it was quite wonderful.

Janet Ghio said...

Looks like a feast!!Congratulations to your brother on his book! And it's always great to see photos of my favorite dog (next to my Sparky)!!

Terri said...

Oh I am so glad you all had such a fine time! I love the video!!! Arron is adorable!
Now that turkey day is over, how about that Christmas decorating???
Lol! (no rest for the weary...)
Hugs,
Terri

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sounds like your holiday has been as busy and fun as mine. I console myself that it is only once a year. You had a handful this year, and I can totally relate to putting 8 people at a 4 person table.

I look forward to revisiting Aaron's blog again this year. I wish you a very joyous Thanksgiving even though I'm a bit late letting you know.

My company goes home tomorrow, then I have dinner plans. How about your company? And did they drive or fly? Guess I'm asking myself since my e-mail is still not working. Enjoy them as long as you can, dear friend.

Diane said...

What a great video!!! And congratulations to your nephew--this is great!!
Your plate of food looked just like mine. I completely enjoyed my meal mainly because it was home-cooked. I've been basically eating out for months.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend--Survivor--I'm thinking that the finale will be on next Sunday??

Dorthe said...

Hi dear Marlynn-
big congratulations to your nephew Aron- this must have been a very big project for him- and Ilove the video.
I`m happy you had such a wonderful day, with your family.
Hugs,Dorthe