Saturday, May 30, 2009

Neglected Murderess for June from Edward Gorey

Hmmmmm for those who follow my blog, you know if we are getting close to June 1, it can only mean it is time to drag the Gorey calendar off the wall and begin to work on yet another neglected murderess. A week or so before the month ends I start with the antsy ants in my tummy thinking OH NO, no way can I do another drawing and make it mine. No more! But then I remember all the wonderful calendar creations I have seen out in blogland and I just pull myself up by my bootstraps (OK, if I had some I would, I betcha).... and I stop thinking and start "coloring" and it begins to come together.

When flipping to June's featured female, Lady Violet Natheless, we discover that she has strangled the Hon. Opal Gentian at Gilravage Hall on Midsummer's Eve, 1925. June 23rd is Midsumer's Eve and is said to mark the ancient middle of summer, the astronomical beginning of summer, and the nativity of St. John the Baptist. Some also claim that the fairies dance at midnight on the Eve. Here is an interesting little factoid which I am certain Edward knew - there is a Gentian Violet. Do tell....... you know he knew....



OK, back to the Gorey drawing, we see the Lady likes to dress like the Lord of the Manor. You can only imagine what I thought of ??? Yup, same thing you did. Fashion is everything? or Lover's quarrels can be so ugly especially (and this is where my mind starts making the story mine) when you have someone hiding behind the peacock feather.


Oh my, oh my, dear readers, you know there is always a Mrs. Peacock in the story...... or is that Miss Peacock as I envision in my scenario. What can you say, how about, "Shame on you, Violet. Shame on you."

On this piece I was going to literally sew some fringe on the table cloth but changed my mind when the beads and plastic purple feathers were not cooperating. Instead I just cut it all up and individually added each one, then used a favorite "cover-up" called glitter.... Always remember, sparkle is good. Sparkle is really good!


I felt it did give a three-D look to the work. Below you will see my imagined dearly departed Opal who looks like a cheery ol' gal. OK, obviously her red crown does clash with Lady V's purple tux..... I know......



When all is said and done - it always comes down to fashion issues....



As our dear Tim would say on Project Runway - Make it Work! Hopefully, I did and hope you enjoy the final product.

P.S. - I'm not sure which of the three were wearing the black garter. I don't wanna go there... I just don't wanna go there.

3 comments:

Lindart said...

I love your altered calendar pages!! I'm new to your blog, but I'm here to stay! I love reading your insights on the page you are doing. I wish I could think like that! maybe I should try this with my (pretty boring) Nat'l Geographic calendar. . .hmmm!

Boutade said...

Superb! I love the way you mingle peacocks, fashion, a red crown and dirty deeds into a fine creation. Who thought murderesses could be so much fun?

Debby said...

This is such a great post, thanks for sharing. Enjoyed it lots.
debby